Vibration in front at low speed - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Re: Vibration in front at low speed

Originally Posted by Dupes
god this is an old post!! forgotten about my ' i hate being ignored' rant

cant say any more than I have - cat bracket is a tinny rattle/vibration from cold, at certain low revs (mine was appx 2000, but varies) mine disappeared as engine warmed up - infact the sound is a little like the Rasp you get from an old alfa sud if that helps, or when you put some grease proof paper in your mouth and blow to make that rasp (you know like when your a kid )

its such a cheap easy job, you might as well ask them to change the cat bracket (or DIY) and see. Go on, dare you if you get under and DIY parts about a 10er

clearly the techs diagnosis is rubbish as it has not worked! so what have you got to loose?

well apart from 10 quid if its not that
I hope it's just the bracket. I will bring it back to the agent over the weekend and have the car check. No way I am changing any more tensioner. The next best thing i will do is to get them tighten up everything damn screw they can find underneath the carriage. Will keep you guys posted of the outcome.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

I went out last night and loosened my cat bracket.
Since then the car developed an annoying rattle on start up, but it disappears when it gets warm. Phoned lots of garages late last night but they didn't even answer the phone!
Checked the engine mounts, tightened the wheel nuts, fitted new rear speakers, even hoovered the driver's seat but nothing seemed to work. Read this post and saw Dupes' diagnosis, tightened up the cat bracket (after all what did i have to lose) and guess what, the rattle's disappeared!!

Ta Dupes, you were right

My alfa 156 Selespeed had the "rattle noise" for many months, but this suddenly disappeared... No fix by any garage worked, including the cat bracket tightening, but everything went fine by itself. Magic italian car...

Right!! It's been a while since I posted here.

Got my problem sorted out last year sometime. I had to leave my car at the dealers for a few days so they could road test it from cold etc. It turned out that the engine mounts needed to be replaced. Hey presto - no more rattling!! This was all done under warranty btw.

However, now when I start the engine during cold weather I get a type of wheezing noise. This only happens when I turn the ignition on and nothing else. Some say it's a tensioner problem. The noise only lasts about 1 second and then goes. Once the engine starts it's fine it's only during start up.

Any ideas??

Alfa Romeo 147

I have that too but after i tried to fuel my car with Pure Shell it doesnt vibrated anymore. Maybe it helps you

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

front , low , speed , vibration