Rear wiper water not squirting water on my 147. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 27-10-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
Rear wiper water not squirting water on my 147.

Hi Guys,

My rear wiper is not squirting any water. The wiper works and you can hear the water pump when trying to wash the rear window - but no water comes out.

I lifted the bonnet the other day and found a small plastic object rattling in the water collection bay (where the front wipers are). It looks like the letter T in shape, and is hollow inside, like a 3-way tube. It is approx 3cm in length. I have a photo but don't know how to post it!?

I had also noticed that there are 3 lugs missing that hold the bonnet cover on (on the underside of the bonnet). They are the 3 uppermost lugs nearest the wipers). I assume that the plastic piece had fallen from the vacinity of the front washer squirters. I hope this makes sense.

Anyone know if all this is related?

Is this piece shown in the workshop manual?

Has someone had the same problem with the rear wash/wipe?

I can post pics if someone tells me how!

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

It's probably your washer tube that has either fallen off the rear jet, or split at the point where it goes into the rear hatch. Either option will result in you filling your boot lid full of washer fluid!! Check the carpet in your boot below the slam panel and see if it's damp.
Try checking under the bonnet, RHS near
the bulkhead up by the battery.

My rear wash didn't work from new
'cause the tube used to get squeezed
when the bonnet was shut.

Just needed to be moved a bit.

If it's not the above, (and with frosty mornings upon us) you might want to check that the pipe hasn't split somewhere - that's what happened to me last winter as I used too much plain water and not enough screen wash, and the pipes iced up and split - wont make that mistake again!

AO Silver Member
The plastic bit sounds to pretty clearly be the 'T' piece that supplies the water to the rear washer by splitting a front washer hose and allowing another hose to be connected - its all come unconnected (maybe the hoses got pulled somehow - and this has pulled the bonnet clips off, maybe even someone tried to nick something) or was never done in the first place - there should be some washer hoses around somewhere - try connecting them up with the T piece wink
AO Member
Re: Rear wiper water not squirting water on my 147.

oh crap i am always too lazy so i use plain water without screen wash. that must be why my rear jet doesnt work as well!
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD 16v

Thanks guys.... Chalk another one up to the squashed pipe. Looks like it came out of the factory that way! And my car isn't completely new (3500 ex-delear car) so it obviously got a thorough check before they gave it to me

AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6

Have the same problem, can't see any crushed pipe in the engine bay nor any leaking water in the boot.
Does the pipe run underneath the car so can check for a split pipe?
Is there a pump in the back aswell as the front?
AO Platinum Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

hi motty,
Ya had that problem with my ex 147. If its the same as my problem the pipe on the rear wash falls off and you need to take of the rear plastic panel off on the rear door to access it... Its a fiddly thing to get at but as risksalfa says you will hear the water slosing around the boot.
AO Silver Member
County: Durham

this was very common on almost all fiat group vehicles during the 90s. glue is the best way to stop it happening again and again. the water can kill the wiper motor so dont squirt any water until it is fixed.
AO Member

this also happens on golfs and polos! screenwash corrodes things like locks and motors!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , rear , squirting , water , wiper