Quick update on my 156 Sele now she's back to life..
Earlier this year, I was testing a rebuilt actuator on the car, getting the car ready for sale.
Once the engine warmed up I put the Alfa to the test – hard accelerating, decelorating shifting up and down the gearbox etc;
I took it to 6.5k rpm in 3rd – shift up to 4th (crisp precise gear changing).
Now in 4th, gear change before the rev limiter cuts in, I got to around 6k rpm and........ a nice metallic clatter!!!!
Pulled over to the side of the road, the engine died immediately and wouldn’t start for a few minutes.
When it did, what a ‘lovely’ sound it made. Big end failure!
So, a tow home with the AA and commence putting it right...
The engine was stripped and I found No.3 big end shell wrapped around the crank journal.
I took the crank and rods to Payne’s (a local engine machine shop), where they managed to grind the crank – big ends and mains had to be done. A new rod was needed too, as the original was ‘ovaled’.
The block was then thoroughly washed, the rust y outside cleaned up with a drill and de-coke brushes, bores de-glazed and all faces cleaned.
Pistons and other internals were soaked in paint thinners for a couple of days – that removed all the gummed up oil deposits and the carbon!
Although the head was supplied new by Alfa 30k mile ago, I took no chances and stripped that too. Valves were re-cut, the head was cleaned thoroughly, faced and de-coked, new stem seals etc. Now it’s like new!
I thought whilst I’m here, I may as well get the block looking like new too, so a tin of POR-15 engine enamel came out.
All the external ally hardware was blast cleaned, except the alternator (I’m wasting my time anyway, but I’m not going that far!).
So a complete rebuild; Bearings, oil seals, gaskets, water and oil pumps, plenty of oil etc. The belts and tensioners are relatively new as I changed them last year, just under 3k miles, so were reused.
She runs and drives like a dream now!
Some photo’s for interest - (the workshop is getting a spring clean