My 2.5 V6 idles too high - any suggestions to reset??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Brian T
My 2.5 V6 idles too high - any suggestions to reset???

I cleaned the throttle body of my 156 V6 last weekend. The round throttle plate and spindle were a bit grubby so I used some proper injection intake cleaner and the plate and spindle now look like new.

Put the rubber intake pipe back on the throttle body from the air box and re-tightened the jubilee clips etc.

Started the car first time and I have now have a nice smooth idle. Only problem is that the idle hovers at 1500 rpm and sometimes 700 rm. It fluctuates between this whether engine is hot or cold.

Have run the car for a few days now and it is still doing it.

Is there an idle re-set method for the V6 ????

My previous BMW 5 series with motronic inj. had a reset procedure and then idle would re-calibrate itself etc.

Any ideas anyone as I can't face a trip to the dealer.............!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Gary F
There is a reset procedure which allows the engine management to figure out where the end-stops are.
Turn the key to the on position (dont start) for 90 seconds, then turn off and remove the key for 30 seconds. Start the car and all should be well.
If you have your head under the bonner while the key is in the on position you'll hear the butterfly valve whining and moving.
Brian T
Cheers Gary

I will give it a go.

AO Member
Is the procedure also valid for a 156 TS ?

Gary F
I could be wrong but I don't think the TS is fly-by-wire, there is a mechanical link from the pedal to the valve so it is not applicable.
AO Member
Hi i had the same thing when i cleaned the throttle body on v6,recommended by someone on another site,let this be a lesson to us all,leave well enough alone.Don't clean the throttle body! It may take a lot more than just key on key off.I had to do it another way,let me know if that doesn't work for you.vince
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 & WRX PPP

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Gary F:
<strong>I could be wrong but I don't think the TS is fly-by-wire, there is a mechanical link from the pedal to the valve so it is not applicable.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Selespeed cars are FBW (fly by wire), but 5-speed ones have mechanical link (cable). This is for 1st generation 156, I'm not sure about the minor change model or the facelifted ones.

Mine (2.0TS) had a similarly high idle for a few days after cleaning the throttle body, it went away after a few days.

//2000 156 2.0TS / AD Remap / Supersprint Exhaust / K&N Filter Kit / Rhoddy Harvey-Bailey Suspension / AR Strut bar /16" Telephone dials + Yokohama V550 / Tar-Ox discs + SS lines + MQ pads //

//2005 Subaru Impreza WRX PPP / K&N Short Ram-air Intake / Brembo 4-pot Brake Kits / Prodrive GC-010 British Black 18x7.5 Forged Alloys / Michelin Pilot Sport Cup / Prodrive Spring Kit / STi Aero kit //

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

high , idles , reset , suggestions