Now got the 166 replacement I wanted - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 17-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Now got the 166 replacement I wanted

When I had to reluctantly sell my 166super last year 'cos of a huge jump in commuting costs I knew I would miss that wonderful/amazing/stupendous/ballistic missile/oral orgasm (delete as applicable) of an engine.

Replaced it with a cheap but needed a fair bit o work 156 140 2.4 JTD sp2. Why do I always do it this way? Anyway, all sorted back to as it should be, apart from strut braces & FSD's, with a remap this week.

Spoke to lots o people and decided that Gus off of Alfa Tuner was the way to go.
Still had issues withe the variable bits o the turbo sticking which meant that with the wick turned up it was just overboost tripping all the time. Took it to work yesterday and took turbo off, 3/4 hr, and spent about 3 1/2 hrs making sure each of the 13 (any coincidence there) vanes were completely free with them dismantled and rebuilt at each stage, if you see worra mean.

Sorted, for now anyway, no overboost or fault code and what an engine.

Gus did not and does not quote figures as he believes dyno runs are only any use as before and after writing a map, and doesn't get into willy waving numbers. My early gen 140 ecu can only give so much without removing or going through safety limiters, so 200 horse isn't safely available.

Compared to the wonderful/amazing/stupendous/ballistic missile/oral orgasm (delete as applicable) 3.0 v6 in the super, though standard, after some extensive testing on my regular routes, without having a 166 super alongside me, I think the 156, mapped of course, is quicker.

Flame protection - of course there isn't any comparison in the hairs on the back of your neck quality of noise, but there is in twice the mpg. Sad I know but it is a factor in today's Gordon and Alistair sideshow.

So am a happy bunny.

And, I enjoy overall the 156 as a package to live with and own. My 166 did not have CD or sat nav, but to use I think the ICS is overated. I can now alter any control in the 156 without taking my eyes of the road. And with the carbon centre consloe I think the 156 is the nicer interior.

Quadcamboy? Has anyone seen 3 camshafts lying around anywhere?

Evidence of my disease: '79 Alfasud 1.5ti, '80 2.0 Gulietta, '89 164 2.0ts, '90 75 2.0ts, '92 164 3.0 24v Super, '94 164 3.0 24v Super, '96 155 widebody 2.0ts Super, '97 155 widebody 2.0sp, '99 166 3.0 Super, '51 2.4 jtd 156 sp2. Looks like there aint a cure!

Last edited by Quadcamboy; 17-04-09 at 11:16.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

166 , replacement , wanted