Replacement key - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 16-04-09 Thread Starter
Replacement key

Hi folks,

I know this has been asked before, but I've been looking through past posts on this and there seems to be quite a bit of contradictory information in them.

Basically, I need a 2nd key for my 2001 147. I've just contacted my local dealership and they quoted me £230 and I've had a look on alfatech-uk, but Huddersfield is a bit too far of a trek.

Are there any alternative ways for me to get a new key/ fob with the buttons or is the official dealership the only way to go?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
Re: Replacement key

Tough one to sum up this because, as you say there are so many opinions on this.

While it's not impossible to do it the DIY route, it is grief and you still need your code from Alfa, you need an indie with examiner who knows what to do, you need a new blade cut for the second hand key you buy (which may soon fail, being 2nd hand) and finally, not all keys can be done!

Save yourself the hassle, I know it's expensive but get a new key sorted from Alfa.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 16-04-09 Thread Starter

That's what I was afraid of! Can't really justify that sort of outlay for a replacement key at the moment, so looks like I will give it a miss.

Although I may give the dealership a ring again and see if they can re- programme 2nd hand keys and see how much a code is, just in case.

Thanks though!
AO Member
County: Fife

Member car:

Alfa Romeo

Take the key into a Timpsons shoe and key shop first and let them have a look at it. They can clone some key types and asking them costs you nothing. Also check different dealers. I got quoted from a £130 up to £210 for the same key by different Alfa dealers. Needless to say got it done for a £130.
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset

you need a blank immoiliser chip in the key. you cant re code one that has already been coded. i.e from a second hand key. i know this as i have tried.
you can get a key cut but it wont start the car without the immobiliser chip.
AO Member
County: Greater London

I have been looking into this as I have two keys one with a busted fob casing, I bought an as new key from ebay (thankfully it was pretty cheap) and it really was as new.

As the key from ebay was in really good nick I figured it would be better to retain the mobo from this key. Whilst investigating whether it can be reprogrammed I found out that taking the imobiliser chip from my spare and putting it in the new key along with the blade would get it to start the car however to program it to work the alarm I called AutoLusso who can program keys and was informed that I would need the code card from both my car and the code card of the car that the key was originally programmed for!!!

Basically from the key I bought from ebay I got a brand new casing - like I said before thankfully it was cheap.

You would really be better of getting a new one from an Alfa dealer, also the new variant of the three button key from Alfa is a rubberised version with a better battery compartment and a much better key fob attachment which doesn't drop out with ease. I got quoted £200 all in from a dealer near me.

(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 17-04-09 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think I'm going to have to put getting the spare key on hold until I can afford one from an alfa dealer.

Thanks again!
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
County: Bedfordshire

Itís worth talking to Chris about keys, we recommend him regularly to our customers and everyone is very happy with his work

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

key , replacement