156 lowering springs - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6 24v

Re: 156 lowering springs

Cheers Stoyce,
Have the same problem with my 156 2.5 V6, just been to the links you provided and was able to print the articles, I,ll be beter informed
and be able to make an informed choice.
Thanks again,
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

just a thought, but if you talking a out 10 year old shocks & springs on the sportpack setup, maybe they are just knackered?

What about trying a set of springs & dampers from a late model veloce? Scrappers can't charge you more than £200 for them?

Ive just bought an 04 veloce and the suspension is great, firm but not hard & bouncy, and believce me ive driven a lot of lowered cars in my time.........
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

Originally Posted by stoyce View Post
Lowering the car will alter your camber. You'll need to get that checked after its lowered.
You'll also alter the roll centre, which most people ignore, but if its just looks and not high speed cornering, that won't be an issue.

Have a look at all 6 articles here;

Handling and Cornering Improvment Guide Weight Transfer - Tech - Sport Compact Car Magazine
and this one for roll centre info;
Whiteline EVO 7-8-9 Front Roll Center Adjustment Kit (KCA395)

Roll center and camber will not change on a 156 (at least at the front), as it has unequal length double wishbones.

The main benefits of unequal length double wishbones is that the wheel is kept parallel to the cars body as it rises and falls.

Also as a double wishbone car is lowered the roll center moves with the car and its center of gravity.

On a strut type system, however like those fitted to Evo's in your link, roll center and camber will change as the wheel rises/the car is lowered, simply because the wheel does not rise parallel with the car.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , lowering , springs