Could some one please advise? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 13-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Could some one please advise?

Hi there, I have a 156 2000 reg and am having some difficulties with the idle and flat spot, SOME times the idle just decides to bounce wherever it wants but only some times, there is also a flat spot until it hits 3000rpm and then it goes like stink!

I have changed the MAF and this settled the bouncing idle but now the engine seems to be struggling at idle almost as if it is too low?

I have left the car standing for 3 days while i have been away and started it for the first time tonight and when i accelerated it was spluttering loads, took it for a spin and that seems to have settled now.

The car is going in for Mot and service tomorrow and i dont want it to fail on emissions!

Oh one other thing before i replaced the MAF i disconnected the old one and tried the engine, it just stalled is this right?

Sorry for the long post guys am getting so frustrated with this little hiccup and would be gratefull for any help.

Great site by the way, keep it up!!!

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Re: Could some one please advise?

If your car is a cable controlled accelerator, rather than the later type fly-by-wire, which I think it wiill be - it could be the idle control valve - the black unit bolted on the back of the throttle body.....

As for the power issues, the 156 always is a little flat below 3000 when the variator advances the cam timing, but its difficult to tell from your description whether that is the issue or not - you've already changed the MAF which is the usual cause of such problems!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT