bouncy bouncy! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 06-04-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
bouncy bouncy!

Can anyone help diagnose this slightly strange occurance on my alfa? the front left wheel on my sport wagon doesn't seem to track the road that well. Or so it seems. I can't work out if its a dicky shock or something else. Its had new upper wishbones on both sides and an anti roll bar with drop links. There is no uneven wear on the tyre and the front end is NOT extra bouncy on that side and there is no sign of leakage. The upper wishbone has developed the same squeak that it had when it was knackered but it was a genuine item and I only put it on last month so I can't believe its failing already. It feels like there is bounce through the column on really bumpy roads when i go round a left hand bend and the ASR light flashes briefly on if I've got my foot down on a bumpy hill.
Could it be a bottom ball joint or track rod end on the way out? Cheers to all

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
Alfa Mito QV , BMC filter.

GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Re: bouncy bouncy!

wheel alignment done recently? tyre pressues ok? wheel bolts torqued appropriately? wheels 'true', not bent?

to assess a track rod (ball joints), you can jack that wheel off the ground, and see if you can wobble it (trying to turn the steering angle left/right). if there's slop, then it should be obvious. dunno if you've ever had issues with your 155, but my steering rods were shot and needed replacing. unsure how well the 156 ones fair in comparison. though the telltale sign would be 'pulling' to one side or the other under acceleration/deceleration.

if your car is quite high mileage, then it could certainly be the dampers. so upgrading them to something really good might be a good treat to yourself.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey

Last edited by shiny_car; 07-04-09 at 11:07.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT