2.4 JTD Noise on start up - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
2.4 JTD Noise on start up

Hi everyone, sorry another question.

I have a 2.4 JTD sportswagen, as a "family" replacement to a 3 litre GTV.
Good car, although in the last 5000 miles (ie since 15,000) it is very noisy on cold start for about 45 secs, then quiet. Is the fan belt loose - or is this the "normal" noise described in some other posts on this forum?

certainly wasn't like that when I got it

many thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by shoee:
certainly wasn't like that when I got it

</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shoee,

Hard to say without hearing it, is it a squeeling or extra deisel knocking?

Since its only on cold start up and only for around 45 seconds I think you may have a glow plug problem, the car may be starting on 4 cylinders. Usually a diesel will put its own heat into a cylinder within about 45 seconds and start to run on all 5.

Hi Lee

not a squeeling, more an extra clattery noise, it doesn't come in till the revs have dropped down a few secs after the startup ie at low revs

thanks for replying

AO Member

Member car:

156Jtd Sp3

Hi, I am new to this so bear with me. I had what sounds like a similar fault, it turned out to be one of the vibration mounts on the exhaust had come loose. Get under the car and have a listen, i found a loose bolt, tightened it and hey presto!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Hi JTD guys!!
I have had the exhaust rattle too, but it was there all the time, not just on start up. It was especially noticeable when manouvering at low revs.
What Lee says makes sense - could be glow plugs. If one was a bit dicky, it will be more exagerated with the colder mornings. Make sure your glow plug light goes out before you start up!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

jtd , noise , start