Rusty Bits - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 06-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

GT Coupe

Rusty Bits

While cleaning my GT at the weekend, I noticed a small area at the bottom of the front wheel arch (inside edge) where the paint has flaked off.

Upon closer inspection, this seems to extend to a small patch on the underside of the sill and is showing signs of corrosion.

I checked the other side of the car, and sure enough both driver and passenger sides seem to be affected.

Is this a common problem area? I am guessing its an area susecptable to chips from the wheels.

My car is an 06, with its 3rd birthday in June, and has convered 24K miles only. Unfortunaly I only aquired the car recently (from uninterested independant), and have not yet transfered the 3rd year waranty (actually didnt think it worth it for few remaining months).

Where do I stand with this? I am likely to be able to claim from anti corrosion waranty if I were to transfer it? Or is it likely to be classed as stone chip damage?

I am keen to get this looked at one way or another. Anyone else experienced this, and can share experience. Not going to attempt this myself even though its not in a visible area, so will be going to professional body shop if I have to.
Sponsored Links
Re: Rusty Bits

Im sure i read in my welcome pack that the body was waranteed for either 5 or 8 years.
this was with my 147.
Worth a look.

AO Silver Member
County: Nukunonu

The bodywork is is warrantied as long as the inpection schedule is adhered to and stamped up in the book IIRC.

Defo worth contacting your local dealers for corrosion on such a young car
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

GT Coupe

Thanks for the replies.

Spoke to Alfa Customer Services, who advised to take the car to 'local' dealer for inspection. First dealings with customer services, but they seemed quite helpful, as I had a few other questions about transfering 3rd year waranty and so on.

I am bit concerned as to whether they will aggree to the work as before I took ownership, the service history for my car is partial only. However nothing ventured.......

Bit of a trek to 'local' dealer, but I will make the effort as soon as I can. Good excuse for a road trip

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bits , rusty