City Mode in a 147 Selespeed Do you use it ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 25-09-03 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

2.4L VTEC Honda

City Mode in a 147 Selespeed Do you use it ?

Be Honest here!

Do you ever use City Mode in your 147 ?.

And when you do change gears what do you mainly use ? The gear knob or the paddles on the steering wheel. ?

It will be intresting to see what you guys come up with !
Sponsored Links
Bob Maes
Never use the citythingy but then again i have a jtd and not a selespeed! wink laughing
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.9 JTD 16V

Us jtd's and a city mode?!
305 Nm at 2000rpm....sounds more like we need some kind of a limiter on there... rant
NOT!!! laughing laughing

There is also some thing called "city mode" (in Fiat's though) which lighten the steering when in low gears, for maneuverability

AO Member
I use the city mode only when I speak at the cellular.

I use the stick in the mostly in the city. I use the paddles mostly in the highway.
AO Member
Never touch the city mode and never use the paddles either. Always press lock all doors button + turn off asr once I turn the key.
AO Member
I use city mode about 40% of the time. And I always change gear with the stick.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

I never used City mode unless I was video taping at the same time.

I used the paddles 99% of the time to change gear and the joystick just 1% of the time.
AO Member

Member car:

147 selespeed

i only use the city mode when in heave slow moving traffic and mainly use the padels
Never use silly, sorry,city mode, almost always use the gearshift in the low gears and the up paddle in 4th & 5th. Invariably let the gearbox change down and knock it into idle with the gearstick when changing down
AO Gold Member
County: -
Well today the 29th September 2003 I drove my first Selespeed.
The car was a 156 JTS.
I initially drove in city mode.
Under normal acceleration the car exhibited a see-saw action when changing gears.
If I was to try and replicate such bad gear changes in a manual car then I would have to rapidly remove my foot off the throttle before pushing in the clutch.
I would be emarassed driving such a car with other passengers as it would refect on me and imply I was a bad driver.
On harder acceleration the car did improve but still a driver of a manual car changing gears in such a manner would be considered a bad driver IMHO.

Using manual selection ie not in city mode was much better.

However I am really glad I did not buy a Selespeed as most of my driving is in the city and I get more pleasure and control with a manual gearbox than with the Selespeed.
Whether I manually changed or used city mode the car reminded me too much of an automatic.
I suspect that on a race track or pushing the car hard the Selespeed would be the way to go.
However 99% of my driving (about 24,000 kms/year) is in situations where I believe a manual is better.

When my driving skills reduce to the standard of a Selespeed ,presumably due to old age, then I will be happy to own one eek! laughing

AO Member

Member car:

147 Selespeed

I drive 90% of the time in city mode, and once you get used to it, it really comfortable. You can really control the gearchanges by giving or loosing throttle.
I had the same experience of bad shifting in the beginning, but now it's all nice and smooth.

When really going for it, i use the paddles.

I use the stick only to put it in reverse and to start.
AO Member
When I'm in traffic I use the city mode and force it into 2nd gear, that way I dont have to keep going all the way down to first and getting poor starts. City driving is best pulling off in second. Rest of the time I use a combination of the paddles and the gerashift. I usually find resting my arm on the armrest leads to an easy push action on the ghearshift. So I now use this quite a lot unless I'm really putting my foor down and then it's paddls all the way.
AO Member

Member car:

147 Cloverleaf

I used to use City Mode quite a lot - I found it best outside of cities on twisty roads. I've just sort of got out of the habit now, and tend to use the paddles almost all the time. For some reason - almost certainly psychological - downshifts feel smoother with the stick shifter, though.
I like the way you can change gear, adjust the volume of the stereo and steer round a roundabout simultaneously - not many "manual" cars you can do that in!
AO Gold Member
city only in the city
buttons most of the time
stick if I want to drive like a loon
AO Platinum Member
County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Yesterday a friend who was with me asked what was that black button near the asr... "It would be the city mode", I said. But then, I don't have a Selespeed... wink
AO Platinum Member
I only use "City" mode on the Motorway.
Steering wheel buttons the rest of the time.
Gear lever only for 1st, Rev or when the steering wheel is in an awkward position to use the buttons (i.e. exiting a tight roundabout).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , city , mode , selespeed