Variator/ Water Pump Cause of engine rattle noise? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon
Well Happy Variator/ Water Pump Cause of engine rattle noise?

Hello all,

I've had a strange extremely intermittent noise coming from the engine of my 147 2.0L T-Spark.

It sounds like, imagine you have a blender and there are big lumps of ice in it!

It was on start up from cold, now its constant.

My local mechanic reckons it could be the water pump, speaking on the phone to Alfa Technico Lewis reckons its the variator.

Any thoughts on this please?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

Re: Variator/ Water Pump Cause of engine rattle noise?

A Duff variator you make it round like a diesel.
County: Wexford
Re: Variator/ Water Pump Cause of engine rattle noise?

it could either or both or neither...... timing belt will need replacing if any or both of these are replaced.

Assuming the tensioners are ok a timing belt is only a few quid

also it could be a failed tensioner.

best to get it looked as YESTERDAY.
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

I have the same noise. I've had the car over 2 years and I think it's always done it a bit, but it's pretty loud now. So much so it's scared me into bringing my cambelt/variator change forward a couple of month. I know my variator needs doing, that's a different noise.

It sounds to me like a knackered bearing. I just hope it's not my cambelt tensioner!
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
I agree with Sears but get it checked the day before yesterday!! Even an external wheel failing can cause the serpentine belt to wear through the cambelt cover and hit the cambelt.May seem unlikely but ive seen two blown Alfas with this problem in the last couple of years.At least when checked if its simple your mind is at rest and your not advertising it on ebay for peanuts amoungst many others with dead engines.
AO Silver Member
your description of the blemder sounds much worse than regular variator rattle.
did you check the oil level?
visual inspection of the engine bay? does anything look amis? down around the belts. you cant see the water pump, only way to check that is to have it out - new cambelt.

the variator makes the engine sound like a ticking/rattling diesel. when the variator starts to fail you'll hear the rattle when you start the engine - first just half the time. then every start. eventually all the time while running. it costs near 100 just for the variator. +300 ish for the cambelt job.

my variator started failing the day after I changed my belts! waited 3 years and had it done. the engine got quieter in general too, there was a constant ticking as well as the massive rattle on start up. all cured after the change.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 24-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon

Hey thanks.

I got it done quite a while ago actually, the belts looked good, everything looked ok, managed to get the cambelt cover off partway, I always keep an eye on the oil level as it tends to burn an alarming amount of it, changed from 10/40 to 10/60 selenia racing, which is a thicker oil, especially after a friends gtv seized up!
So it looked ok but decided to get it seen to so I had new belts, tensioners, inc. rollers, and went for a new water pump and variator seeing as its all being done, cant remember the cost but after it sounded pretty sweet and mind was at rest. A good investment. I think the water pump and variator really wasnt that bad, but what if they had been?

So after that there was still a bit of rattle, especially from cold, then we worked out it was a missing bracket at the very front of the exhaust. it was mentioned before but looking underneath I thought it was the one behind.
The bracket had sheared off the cats, so a new/ 2nd hand one is expensive but we fixed it with welding a makeshift (quite simple) shape on.
There are other threads on this.

after this was done it was purring wonderfully.

it was worth getting that done as apart from the noise, a lot of weight was on the 2nd bracket down which had split.

Alfa released an upgraded reinforced bracket too so that is put on.

Thing is I'm abroad now so dont get to drive it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , noise , pump , rattle , variator or , water