Does the 156 ground out a lot? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 20-09-03 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: South Yorkshire
Does the 156 ground out a lot?

I am still being amazed by some of the stuff available in Japan for Alfas (And how bad some of it really is !!)

Just noticed something else and it made me wonder why they would produce it. It is a 156 under engine protector.

I know the 156 has a plastic one anyway (Or at least I think it does?) but is it fragile or something...or does the 156 engine get so close to the ground that someone thought this product would come in handy?

'I got my violence in high def ultra realism'
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Hi Jason,
yes the 156 does have a plastic undershield as standard.
I hear that the std (softer) suspension grounds easier than the lower+stiffer Sportpack/Veloce suspension.
Providing you take speed bumps very slowly, you should be ok.
OMP produce a nice lower brace that is simple to fit and as well as stiffening the subframe also provides added protection.
Picture here: OMP Lower Brace

and with the undershield refitted: Lower Brace (undershield fitted)
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
Jason the undertray on a 156, is made of that soft fibrous material like stiff cardboard. It can be delicate, I broke the one on my first 156, in a Car wash. You will see quite a lot of broken ones if you look. When they are broken the tend to hang lower and hit every Speed Bump, which is annoying. The metal undertray is probably a good idea for this reason.
David's right tho 156's do hit the road if you arn't carefull, particulary coming off speed bumps, not usualy going up them tho. You learn to be carefull.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 20-09-03 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: South Yorkshire
Lol, this is great, I am going to have so many tips to remember for when I get the car that I am not going to want to drive it in case I forget anything

I can see why that metal undertray would be a good idea then considering what you have both said.Allthough, looking at Davids pictures, I dont think the lower strut brace would fit with the metal guard and I had planned on geting the uper and lower braces at some point in the near future frown
Whit the added weight off the JTD engine and the standard 40mm factory sports back drop the 156 dose bottom out to the piont were i find my self not going down roads whit over sized speed humps !!!

hopefull soon as i get the time i will be stiffing the hole front of my alfa so a shall be posting how i get on !! a metal undertray is also in the works

And yes very very odd stuff comes out of Japan !!!
AO Silver Member
I think this is possible for those Japs who think that have a VTEc engined car and want to lower it by 70 cm wink

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , ground , lot