156 JTD Sportwagen front tyre wear/tracking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
156 JTD Sportwagen front tyre wear/tracking

My front tyres have worn severely on the insides and I recently got them replaced and "tracked", hoping that was going to fix the problem.

Problem is, a mate who has exactly the same car , had the same experience and he got his tracked/camber castor etc on all 4 wheels, apparently sorted it properly.

This has made me think I should do the same, but Kwik fit plus others say they only do "4 wheel alignment". Am a bit confused to what the difference is, any advice much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

This is a common thing on the heavy engined 156s - i.e. the JTD 5 cylinder, and V6's.
You need to make sure that your suspension bushes are in good nick as you will never get the suspension sorted properly if they are not. Then, a decent tyre shop should be able to set up the toe in/out and camber/caster adjustments that you need.

Click here and go right down to the bottom of the page. That tells you what the terms mean. Your dealer/handbook/tyre shop should have the correct values.
AO Platinum Member
The only available adjustments are Toe-In/Out both Front & Rear.
Front: 2.03mm +/- 1mm Toe Out
Front (Sport Suspension): 0mm +/- 1mm Toe Out

Rear: 3.27mm +/- 1mm Toe In
Rear (Sport Suspension):3.22mm +/- 1mm Toe In

Setting the front toe-out closer to 0mm will reduce the issue with the inner tyre edge.
Thanks Guys !!
AO Member

Member car:

I always thought that "Wagen" is a german word... and Alfas are called as Sportwagon. rant

AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Bikes these days

My 166 does the same. Wears the inside edge of the fronts, and the outside edge of the rears. I have had a four wheel alignment done twice, and it is completely within spec. Alfa technical have confirmed that the specs are correct, too.

I just resort to swapping the wheels front-to-back every 6k or so, makes the tyres last a little longer.

I would advise that you take any Kwik-Fit comment with a pinch of salt. I have never found them to be either knowledgable, nor interested. To be fair to them, you never have to wait to be seen unlike these other tyre places that actually have customers...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , front , jtd , sportwagen , tyre , wear or tracking