GT - Suspect EGR fault - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 01-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa GT

GT - Suspect EGR fault

Having read several threads re 'low performance / engine will not Rev everything is pointing to my EGR valve so I stripped it out today and found the inside of the chamber, and intake to the manifold, heavily choked with carbon - for anyone who has done this job is this usual?

I cleaned it the best i could before reassembly. Initially after starting up the car seemed so much more responsive (and quicker) but soon returned to the faulty mode after some 500 yrds or so and seemed to have even less power.

To be honest having removed the EGR I was at a loss what to do with it! is there a test that can be performed on it or diagnostics to confirm its serviceability or is it a case of taking the plunge and trying a new one?
Now that old one's reinstalled can it be unplugged to rule it out or not?

Alfa technical assistance didn't assist very well either, they confirm they have no EGRs in stock with 15 on back order (Knowle branch), which have no estimated delivery date either. For info they are selling for 108 (refurb) and 148 (new), both + VAT.

cheers in advance.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Newport
Re: GT - Suspect EGR fault

My mate has aSaab with the same lump and has suffered the same symptons all be it not as severe.

EGR valve or MAF - he had to change both but believes it was the valve which caused the majority of the problems.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

egr , fault , suspect