1999 156 Alarm / Remote Central Locking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
1999 156 Alarm / Remote Central Locking

I have a 1999 156 1.8ti, but I have no clue if I have an alarm or remote central locking fitted. There is an LED on top of the dash (does not seem to do anything) and I have 1 key that has the LED and push button but it does absolutely nothing but flash. The main car battery was replaced as fully dead. Is it out of sync ?? Cheers, Steve
Sponsored Links
Changing the battery shouldn't effect the alarm. You say the LED in the key does nothing but flash....presumably only when you push the button (not continuously?)

What should happen is by pushing the button, the LED in the key should flash and the car should lock (central locking) and the red led on top of the dash should start flashing to indicate that the alarm is armed.

When you push the keyfob button again, the key LED will flash and the dash LED should stop flashing and the doors should unlock.

Assuming that none of the above happens with your car, are you using the key to lock and unlock the doors?

The system may need to be reset. I used to have a 155 which once or twice immobilised itself. The remedy was to disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 5 minutes.

While I wouldn't recommend you try this, maybe the 156 has a similar resetting system.

Your best bet would be to speak to your friendly, efficient and helpful Alfa dealer.

(I'm not being sarcastic either. I had my car booked in to sort out my airbag warning light and the service receptionist was excellent !)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 1999 , alarm , central , locking , remote