First fault - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
First fault

Filled the car up the other day but the petrol gauge only showed half full when i started the car. Then later that day when i had been stopped then started again it went to the full level. Today it happened again after filling up but this time it down then up each time i had stopped then started the car? The trip computor also shows that i have low mile range even when the tank is full but the resets correctly when the fuel gauge is ok.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Some problem with my 147. The first time only half full. After driving a cople of miles it rises. After that almost ful. But still rises. THe last time I had no problems
AO Silver Member
Not a help....but the same with me. I'm either on less than a quarter or on half a tank. I think the correct reading is half a tank.

Hope it's an easy one to fix??
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 3.0

Aha! Now, if you had bought a VW Passat you wouldn't even have known that this kind of error was possible. Thanks to Italian craftsmanship, now you know

The fault is probably in the sender unit, not the gauge itself. Don't know if it's expensive to replace.
On my old Fiat Uno there was a problem similar to this, the insulation on one of the wires has melted or something and +12V was grounded on the way. Need I say how "easy" it was to diagnose and repair this?

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order, but do bring some EUR to be relieved of.

"Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever... thy bidding will be done (munch munch munch)."
AO Member
County: Greater London
Oh my gawd, don't get me started! wink

This fuel gauge fault is the only thing that has gone wrong with my car in 18 months but it was turned into a real performance due to dealer incompetence. But they redeemed themselves in the end (See the recent thread "Credit where it's due...")

To cut a long story short, it's the fuel sender not the dial that is the problem and it means a new fuel pump as the sender unit is part of that assembly.

Mine was done under warranty. Having finally been stuck at "empty" for several months, the needle now zips up to full. For now! Best regards.

PS I've heard it said that this problem can be started by letting the tank get very low. Anyone notice that? I seem to remember it was true in my case.

Get ready for the Saturday night...
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 3.0

Interesting. My car was running on fumes many times, yet this problem has not occured. I wonder how long must I wait before this "feature" kicks in?
Paul - bad news man if the sender unit is in combo with the fuel pump on V6 models also, is your car still under warranty?
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
I have the same problem, described it on another thread yesterday. JoeO's I think. Looks like a faulty sender unit. with it being an intermittant fault it will be difficult to get the dealer to believe me.
Admin Team
County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Ah, but is the tank half full or half empty?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT