best place to get power steering hoses without being ripped off - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

best place to get power steering hoses without being ripped off

Had my 02 147 2 weeks, just found power steering fluid level down and drips under pump area, noisy due to air but ok now topped up. Topping up every 3/4 days so I don't wreck pump. From comments on here it sounds likely to be corroded pipe, not had a chance to have a close look yet to confirm, difficult to see past under tray. Offshore for a bit but sounds like a job I can do at home myself (mechanical tech)if a bit fiddly. Would like advice on best place to order some pipes from while I'm away so I can fix it when I get home, & any tips on doing job. Was thinking may be able to get local hydraulic hose supplier to make hoses cheaper if ends are suitable, anyone done this?
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 237
County: Moray
Re: best place to get power steering hoses without being ripped off

Sounds like the ones running round underneath the front chassis leg , usually go at the clamps on the same area.

I got a replacement from a scrappy, but I blieve the replacement part has been revised for a new onE WHICH INCLUDES BOTH PIPES SO MAKES IT EXPENSIVE AT NEW.
Hi hillbilly - saw your post March 2009

Did you have any luck with replacement hydraulic pipes?
I have a problem with leaks on my 156 - pipes down nearside of engine bay and across lower bulkhead above steering rack [basically the same as a 147]. I understand this is the return side, so lower pressure and not so critical. Plastic pipes seem to be a possible option I am considering. Will be easier to route and fit. Need to find local (Newbury Berks) supplier. AJB 156
AO Gold Member
The 147 (or at least the one I'm breaking at the moment) has a different layout from the 156...the 147 pipes run down the offside chassis leg to the plastic cooling coil - and the connection from the plastic pipes to the coil are the quick release type, rather than the metal squeeze to close clips on the 156.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

hoses , place , power , ripped , steering