Have I got an Alarm? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-03 Thread Starter
Have I got an Alarm?

I just bought a 156 (2001) and it was described as having a factory alarm. It was a private sale so I checked everything I could think of, but blast it I tottaly forgot to check the alarm. I now find that it doesn't operate, so I went to look around the engine bay for the alarm unit but I couldn't find one at all.
I called up the local Alfa dealer who ran a check on my engine number and said it should have been fitted with an alarm from the factory.
I have no LED (except for the one behind the face-off CD player), but the indicators do flash once/twice when I press my key fob for central locking. So the question is, do I have an alarm that's broken, or isn't there one at all?

Incidentally, it was apparently imported (new) from Ireland, and registered new in the UK.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
It will be an Irish alarm and..........oh, I don't know.

Sorry frown
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

It sounds like you have, but you need to lock someone in your car, wait 60 seconds and then get them to jump around like their knickers are on fire.
If all hell breaks loose, you have got an alarm.

(and a deaf friend - or at least, one with slight tinnitus).
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

Stay in the car and arm the alarm. Sart moving yourself after one minute. If it doesnt trigger the alarm, open the door or insert the ignition key and try starting the engine. If it doesnt trigger the alarm, then your alarm is on vacations..
AO Member
Why not sit in it your self, lock the doors using the key fob remote wait a bit then open the door yourself.
AO Member
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 05-09-03 Thread Starter
Thanks for the advice on how to test the alarm - they are all the things I have tried alread but it has not set off the alarm.
So that's why I wanted to find out if I actually have an alarm fitted that needs fixing, or if there is no alarm fitted in the first place! (so I'd have to get one!).
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

I have a similar query. I have 2000 reg 156 and I actually got an alarm fitted to the car when I bought as I was told there was no factory fitted one. It came with the usual key fob and ultasonic sensors inside and an LED by the drivers door on the dash.
Pressing the fob to turn it on it has 2 beeps and to switch off it has one long beep. After a while it started to giving me trouble and going off for no reason. The garage could find nothing wrong with it and they told me that I was pressing the button on the key which was confusing the alarm and setting it off. Typical response from useless Alfa service.

Anyway, so I tried the button on the key and when arming the car it has one long beep to arm but at a higher pitch sound and two short beeps to disarm.
I let it set and jumped around in the car after a minute and the alarm went off. Now I don't think it's using the ultrasonics that came with the aftermarket alarm, so confused how that happened.
Anybody have similar experience. Also, when I arm the car using the key, the LED in the dash centre flashes and the other one doesn't.

Current Car: '09 Subaru Legacy Tourer

Previous Cars:
'00 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3 in Proteo Red
'07 GT 1.9JTDm Monza in Silver
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Sounds like you've got two alarms fitted to your car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT