Help!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Cry Like A Baby Help!!!!

I took my car to Red Dot last week to have some work done to the cooling system (new rad, new water pump, new stat), and to be honest it hasn't been the best experience I've ever had. I'll write another thread explaining all the problems I've had later, but for now I have bigger issues.

When I picked my car up and drove off there was a whining noise and a metallic noise coming from the engine which had never been there before. I was going to take the car straight back but as they were closing up and I desperately needed the car I carried on.

Last night I was parking the car up and it stalled. I thought maybe I hadn't given it enough revs so I restarted and tried again. What I noticed though was there was hardly any power. Putting my foot right down only got me to about 2000rpm and there was a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust.

I checked the coolant level and whilst it still visable in the top up reservoir, it's a good inch and a half below the minimum.

What do you guys think it could be?

While the car was in the garage the mechanic said he wasn't happy about the head gasket as he'd seen some green fixing paste in the old radiator and suspected the previous owner used this as a temporary fix.

Last edited by DanBoy24; 28-03-09 at 12:17.
Sponsored Links
County: Wexford
Re: Help!!!!

if the car was driving ok before red-dot did the work & now its not imho it'd be best to take the car back to them to get it checked out.

replacing water pump means removing all belts & re-fitting new one & setting the timing up correctly.

the coolant level could be just an air lock after sorting itself out or else as the system is pressuirsed the level will drop a bit.

loss of power would be my maion concern, if i were you.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 28-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Re: Help!!!!

The AA have just recovered the car and it's now on its way back to the garage. The first AA mechanic thought it looked like the head gasket, but the second one (who had years of experience with the 16v diesel) thought turbo, as the exhaust smoke had a blue tint to it.

I probably won't get a diagnosis till next week so I'll let you know how it goes.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT