oil - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 24-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

alfa 147

my car has done 60k and i have heard stories about the cars just basically eating them selves with crap oil in i was just wondering what is the best oil for it i have castrol gtx in it right now
Sponsored Links
jay w
Re: oil

i use a good quality 10W40 in my 2.0 twinnie, strangely enough i have never used fully synthetic just semi synthetic and found that it doesn't drink oil
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

There have been odd reports of TSpark's using GTX quicker than other oils.

I prefer to stick with Selenia 20K as that is what she's been run on since the day she rolled off the production line ...

Halfords are doing a good deal on Mobil 10W40 at the mo. Not their silly priced Mobil 1 that only comes on 4litre cans so doesn't even do an oil change without having to buy extra: this is 5 litres for under 20.
AO Silver Member

I used semi-synthetic 5W-40 (Shell Helix ultra) in my 2.0 TS and it used very little oil. Less than 1 litre per 3000 miles.
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Our 147 never required any topping up between oil and filter services. If you have one with a voracious appetite for the liquid gold, it's more likely to have bore, piston, rings, at fault that are responsible for it's thirst?

Nothing wrong with Castrol GTX, as long as it matches the grade the handbook says for your 147 (10w 40...I think). Just change it and the oil filter every 6000 miles or so. Check the level every week and top up as necessary. Do this and stop worrying

Some Alfas use no oil between changes, many use some oil, and a few use lots of oil. The engines that go bang are either those that run out of oil, or those that have been over revved once too often.

AO Member
County: North Ayrshire

If you rag the ******** off your 147 and its petrol use Selenia Racing, if still petrol and you don't use a good 10w/40 Selenia 20k or better.

If its a diesel then Selenia WR or Selenia TD Semi.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT