I've driven a 156 GTA Selespeed! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 29-08-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
I've driven a 156 GTA Selespeed!

After months of trying I at last managed to get a test drive of the Selespeed version of the 156 Gta by going to the Netherlands earlier this week.

I've owned a 2.0 Selespeed for over 3 years and except for reliability and slow speed gearchanging I am a Selespeed convert. My desire was to get a Selespeed with a more powerful engine.

So I was very keen to learn who well the new version of the Selespeed system works with the Gta engine.

So did I like it YES!

The speed and smoothness of gearchanges is much better.

The paddles are more to my liking than the earlier button operation.

One can change gear using the paddles at slow speeds and do not have to use the stick for changing below 15mph.

Disappointment was that the system still only changes down to first gear at the car comes to rest, so it is easy to find yourself pulling away in second gear not first. However, with a six speed box and that much torque does it matter.

Selecting first whilst still moving was jerky.

One surprise I got was on this version the Selespeed does not automatically change up as you hit the red line.

I'm sure that those who dislike the Selespeed system will not be impressed but my opinion is that the Selespeed system has much improved since its introduction and works well with the Gta engine.

So yes I am going to buy one. difficulty is to decide whether to buy in the Netherlands or UK. I reckon that i can save about 5% by buying abroad, but the / exchange rate could change by more than that whilst the cars on order.

Andy Bowden
current cars
156 GTA Selespeed Saloon bought new
2014 Mito QV TCT
On order
Giulia Quadrifoglio Auto
Past cars
Alfasud, Giulietta 2.0, 75 TS, 75 3.0 QV x2, 156 2.0 Selespeed
and just to show I'm not totally addicted to Alfas - 1972 Lotus Elan, 1968 Mini Cooper S
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
As a manual GTA driver and a self funded alfa driver,

From a car point of view ---- sele all the way

From a wallet/car buyer pointg of view I would only have a selespeed if someone else was paying i.e. it's a company car. I've heard too many bad stories and of the three people I know with selespeeds 2 have had them pack up. Luckily these were both company motors so they had them swapped while it was sorted but it's an expensive thing to go wrong....

Whichever GTA you end up with - you'll love it
they are awesome....

Alfa V6 - the ultimate aural pleasure
Simes - the Alfaowner formerly known as Alfa156man
Manuel; "ees a haamster" wink
AO Silver Member

Yes I nearly made the manual joke in the post but thought it was toooo corny
laughing laughing laughing
AO Silver Member
I guess the newer generation Selespeeds are a LOT better than the first ones. I would take the risk

Besides, if you can afford the GTA, the fuel costs AND new tyres every 10000 km's you could also afford a new gearbox so now and then
AO Member
Everyone with a selespeed should have the new software installed it makes a world of difference. Changes are quicker and smoother and first gear clutch operation is a lot more "manual" like. It does away with the revs dropping too far in first when you pull up to a stop as well.

You should get this done at your dealers for free, my dealer also did a full calibration for free as well but I'm not sure if thats part of the Alfa "campaign".

As for the GTA, I'd have the selespeed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , driven , gta , selespeed