156 2.0, Selespeed, 200.000km? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
156 2.0, Selespeed, 200.000km?

Hi, I was looking at an Alfa 156, 2.0 Selespeed. It is from september '99 but has 200.000km on it. Am I right in staying away from one with that many km. on it?
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

I would say "Stay Away" to the Selespeed, buy "OK Dokey" to a manual box, providing full service history and a cheap price.
Ok, so you are saying that the Selespeed can't take as many km as a manual?
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Warning, in Danish ; "Hvis du har spørgsmål om en 156 Selespeed kan du bare sende mig en E'mail"

Mange Hilsener

AO Member
The selespeed has the same gearbox and clutch as the manual so that shouldn't be an issue.

The selespeed pump and actuators could be a worry with that much milage but I suspect its done the most of its work on motorways rather than changing up and down the box.

Check the system builds pressure quickly and the pumps doesn't keep pulling in and out. Check all changes are smooth and the clutch engages smoothly. Finally I would try and get a third party warrenty that will cover the selspeed bits.

AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Personally, I would stay away from any car with 200,000 kms.

It would need to be very cheap and be very well looked after. The repair bills on worn out parts could be huge.
AO Member
My selespeed has done 60,000 miles and apart from many othere recent problems, the selespeed gearchange is now noisy - it makes a wining sound and takes a while longer to change gears - for such a wonderful drivers car it invokes some serious hatred in me at times......but as to your question, it may be that all of these problems have been sorted on the one you're looking at...however 200,000km seems a great deal of motorway miles - even in 4 years - bear in mind that the resale value would be equivalnet to a supermarket frozen chicken - and that's if someone actually wants a chicken at the time.....
Julian Lord
200,000km is a 60 mile commute each day each way, easy if you live in Europe.

IMHO (having done 160,000 km in one year on motorways) a motorway km has to wear less than a town km, 50% less at least as the vehicle is warmed up and component wear is minimised.

I say go for it if really, really cheap but you may want to renew some bushes, the shock absorbers etc. and check for accident damage and tyre condition.

I would take it over a city car with 90,000km any time.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , selespeed