What to look for in a 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
What to look for in a 147

Hey guys

Great forum, I've just spent nearly an hour reading the threads in here

I'm looking to replace my 10 year old 1.4 Clio (great car by the way) with a used 1.6 147 Lusso. I've got my ideal spec in mind but obviously can't be too choosy with 2nd hand cars. I'd love the GTA wheels on it though, are they hard to get through a dealer?

I've been to Black and White and had a good poke around one and had a chat to Alan. Have any of you guys used them before? What are they like for deals and after sales compared to a main dealer like Basingstoke?

Finally I'd like to know what to check on a 147. I've read about stone chips and rattles/squeaks, but is there anything in particular to watch for?

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Hi Shad,
if the car has over 48000miles on it, find out if the cambelt has been replaced.
The official change is at 72000 miles but they usually break well before that.
(with obvious results rant )

I'm not sure if it has become official (I bet it hasn't) but it is generally recomended to replace it at 48000miles.
The tensioner should be replaced at the same time.
Read the motoring section of todays Sunday Times newspaper (24/8/03.)

GTA wheels are easy enough to get from a dealer if you're prepared to part with 744 for just the wheels ! (186 each not including centre caps, bolts or tyres.)

I would personally buy a 147 privately and try and get a car that is still under warranty (UK car, not import.)

Great article that, thanks. If I can find a car for 10k or less with leather then I'd be ok with paying a grand for either GTA wheels or 17" sport wheels, so long as I had some left for a CD changer
AO Gold Member
Lately on 147's the belt does not break but some teeth just get ripped off with similar result as a broken belt. Complete valve train going to pieces. replace it before 60k (kilometres)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT