VDC Failure - anyone help? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 21-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Help VDC Failure - anyone help?

A bit of a techie one this.

I have VDC failure following a steering column stalk switch change.

Now I know this is probably the clock spring, so I changed it for the one that was working on the old switch unit. Initially it showed no fault then at the first corner the fault reappeared.

So, I tried to play around with the 'new' broken one - pulling it apart to see if I could see what might be wrong.

Looking at it I can see that the gearing on the front part of the clock spring is such that the system's gears return to the same point after two complete rotations of the wheel. Would it record a VDC failure if this was turned through 360 degrees or would the system self detect the start position?

Secondly, I pulled apart the middle bit - into which the front part of teh clock spring plugs and I see it is a long ribbon coiled around the centre many times. Anyone know what the start position setting is.

Alternatively, can I just buy the clockspring bit to replace or do I need another whole new switch unit (which is ridiculously expensive).

If anyone can help, I would be grateful,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

failure , vdc