intermittent fuel tank empty indication?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
intermittent fuel tank empty indication??

the fuel gauge in my '99 156 selespeed sometimes indicate empty at engine start up even though it's not(empty) ..

so far:
1. tried restarting engine a couple of times to get the fuel gauge needle up to the right quantity indication.

2. driving with the gauge indicating empty, needle came back up to indicate correct quantity after about 10 mins of driving.

just wondering if it would be 'bad' for the engine to drive with the needle indiction empty when its not actually empty? wud ECU detect this and do somethin bad or 'silly' to the engine? eg. fuel starvation?

fingers crossed, so far, nothing happen, yet...!

comments n suggestions appreciated..
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater London
I'm afraid this is my pet subject. You may regret bringing it up!

My 156 has had a problem with its fuel gauge for a long time (over a year) but I don't think it's doing anything bad to the engine.

Mine is nearly always stuck at or near zero so I just use the trip counter to tell me when to get some fuel. The problem is the sender unit which comes as part of the fuel pump. Apparently, the whole unit has to be replaced.

Misdiagnosis and incompetence at the dealer (I've named them elsewhere in this group) have meant that the problem still has not been fixed.

The last time I took the car in for the work to be done, they turned me away because the fuel tank was full. They said this meant that the work could not be done but, of course, they had not bothered to warn me about this. The dealer is a two-hour return trip in heavy traffic. I was not very pleased.

Hope you have better luck. Best regards.

Get ready for the Saturday night...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

empty , fuel , indication , intermittent , tank