alfa quality - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 16-08-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTD SV

alfa quality

I am looking to buy an alfa JTD (probably 156 but also looking at 147) in the near future I have two concerns:

the paint work seems very poor - particularly with scratches even on 3 month old ex demonstrator cars and the plastic bumpers seem to be very low gloss /orange peel finish

do any users have any commments please with what the paint work is like after a couple of years?

The quality of the carpets are not very good compared to other makes. on the 166 they are much better. are better quality ones available for the 156?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: -
Well Alfa's have always had soft paint.
I use Zymol Ital wax which helps re paint scratching.
From my limited understanding, car manufacturers normally skint on OEM paint. I think there's only 2 layers. I am sure that it would last more than 2 years if the car is constantly waxed, and well looked after. I am targetting for a total respray of the exterior in another 2-3 years for my 1.5 year-old Bella.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 51
I was talking to a good friend of mine the other day, who owns and runs a body repair shop. He said he`d had in a 156 V6 for a scratch on the door. It had 106K miles on it, and there were hardly any stone chips on it at all. He asked the owner when he came back to pick it up if he`d had them touched up, no was the answer. He reckons now that they`re one of the best you can get paint wise!
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

My 147 isn't suffering from scratches or stone chips at all.

I don't know if the quality of the paint (Nuvola Blu) used on my bella is better then the other colors or that the product to protect my bella is very good.

The product used is Waxoyl 100 plus, which covers the paintwork with a polymer film. It is not cheap, but treatment is only needed once.
AO Member
A lot depends on what colour you go for Alfa Red is notoriously soft, when looking to buy I looked at a africa grey one & a gabbi blue both of which had suffered with stones chips & both had only covered about 8k miles, the dark grey was very noticeably because of the light primer under
I also looked at 2 silver ones the first had done nearly 30k miles & had very few stone chips (but miles were higher than I wanted), the 2nd which I brought had 8k & virtually no stone chips of any significance & none through paint, I've now done 3.5k miles washed it today & still no sign of chipping, the only touching up I have had to do is the edge of the door where I have opened against a wall, i don't know what anyone else thinks but the inside door pull is too near the front of the car which caught me out first of all, the bumpers on the 147 are vastly improved over 156 but I should think the new 156 would be OK
If you go to a dealers have a look around the car park this should give you an idea of the best colours for chipping, I don't think Alfa are any better or worse than other manufacturers I had a Seat before this again silver which was ultra tough but the imperial blue Seat used was dreadful for chipping

147 1.6 Lusso 3 dr, Silver, sport Leather, comfort, sport alloys
The paint seems pretty good to me, my roof even survived being crapped on by a thousand incontinent pigeons while I was on holiday.
I took it in to a hand car wash place, the guy with the lance said "**** have you seen your roof"? they just fell about. Got it all off though. Have to admit the carpets are rubbish.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , quality