knocking noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 16-03-09 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Member car:

1999 156

knocking noise

hi ,i have an intermitendt knocking from front o/s at low speed,any idea's
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Durham
Re: knocking noise

One of thre things really:

Could be the anti rollbar drop link (common and only 16 to buy a pair) Sometimes an angle grinder is needed to cut the bolt ends off either end but its a 30 minute job at most.

Or top suspension upper wishbone arm ball joint. These go quite often and again are quite cheap to buy (30 each). There are plenty of tutorials on how to replace these and take a person who is handy with a spanner or two about an hour at most to replace.
Bottom wishbone arm... Again not a great big job to do but these seem to last a lot longer than the other two items.. (45) Allow 1.5 hrs each side.

Remember..... It's always better to get the tracking, camber and castor checked out by a reputable tyre replacement firm afterwards.
Just to make sure all the suspension geometry is spot on or you may be going through tyres like butter. This costs usually 15-25 for adjustments but normally free to check anyway so worth doing for peace of mind.
Hope this helps

Yessssss! Nero black, Black momo leather, sunroof and air con in a 156 2.0 twin spark..... = Heaven, pure heaven

Anyone can give advice on cars like "replace this part, replace that"... Start with the simplest solution and then work your way through it logically... Its a hell of a lot easier and cheaper!
County: Wexford
Re: knocking noise

being a '99 car i'd guess its either:

* drop links x 2

* upper wishbones

* lower wishbones

* ARB bushes ...... if you need 'poly' arb bush i sell them, see my signature for a link.

To confirm if its arb relate dor not discconect the 2 drop links & tie them + the arb to the subframe to prevent them from rattling. Go for a CAREFUL test drive, if the knocking stops then its ARB related.

you may need to order new drop links are the old ones, been a '99 car', may not be re-usable.

PM me if you need ARB bushes

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

knocking , noise