Excessive oil consumption??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 15-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

156 2.5V6

Excessive oil consumption???

Hi all, iv had my V6 for a year now and have just realised it appears to use quite a bit of oil, when i bought the car i changed the oil and filter, i also got an extra 5ltr for topping up. The car has done 8000 miles in the year and the can is empty!! Im about change the oil and filter again, Is there an oil which will help the problem if there is a problem at all. I know that some cars do use a little oil, i have also read that the burned oil can kill the lambda sensor which i have just changed for the MOT and would rather not replace yearly. The car is 1998 and has done 110000 miles.....Thanks..
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Welcome to Alfa ownership!!

I used to have a 155 V6 a while back. Had the car for 4 years and it used to drink oil. I was forever checking it and topping it up. I used to go through at least 1 litre every 1000 miles or so. I did used to drive it enthusiastically though sometimes.

I've now got a 156 2.0L TS with a recent engine rebuild and it uses oil just like my 155 did (at the same rate). It's just the way it is. Keep an eye on your oil level and top up as required. If you notice it getting progressively worse, then there could be a problem. If it's consistant theough you should be OK IMO.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

consumption , excessive , oil