156 Not Turning over, High Pitched whine from Air Mass Meter? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 14-03-09 Thread Starter
County: Norfolk

Member car:

Not Yet

156 Not Turning over, High Pitched whine from Air Mass Meter?

Hi chaps

bit of an odd one here, got an alfa 156 2.0 T-Spark that won't turn over at all. Checked the battery volatage and earth and it all checks out fine. There's a healthy 12.4 Volts and the battery obviously has plenty of juice as things like the headlights and electric windows all work fine.

You can here the starter solenoid click, but there is also a high pitched beep / whining noise and clicking from what looks like an air-mass-meter (looks like a box in the intake pipeline with a couple of sensors on the top)

Is this likely to be a sensor fault that is making the ECU tell the car not to start? Anyone come across a problem like this before?

Having said that, my mate chris (who's car it is) says that the starter itself has always seemed a bit weak and slow to crank, so could it be that the start has given up the ghost? (car has 95k on it)

How tricky is the starter to get at?

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Abu Zaby
Re: 156 Not Turning over, High Pitched whine from Air Mass Meter?

i'm faced a problem yesterday, while turning the car a bang sound happened...then when i tried to turn it on again it's noisy and not turning on...today the garage told me that we have to replace the inlet manifold in the engine! a complicated thing! donno if this might helpp u!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , air , high , mass , meter , pitched , turning , whine