A couple of questions. 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-03-09 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Alfa 147 diesel

Help A couple of questions. 147

Hi Im Onlineo.

I have a red 04 Alfa 147 diesel with 100k miles on the clock. Ive had it for just under a year, and it is due for its first service and MOT under my ownership. The only problems so far encountered have been 2 bulbs going and the air con needing re-gasing, which is great.

I have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

My car only has steel wheels and the tyres are 185*65*15. I have been offered a good deal on some second hand alloys with tyres 205*55*16 (which the owners manual says is suitable). I need 2 new tyres for my MOT next week, and these 4 wheels will only be 20 over the cost of 2 new tyres. However the alloys come from an Alfa 166. Im pretty sure a dealer would tell me not to bother trying to fit them as it is the wrong part number. But from what I can tell these wheels should fit fine. Is this true? Would these wheels be worth a punt? Are they going to be too heavy and unbalance the car, or too large to attach?

Secondly although the car has done 100,000 miles with no major problems, Im not sure that the timing belt has been changed. The car has been serviced every year but only at the 12k, 36k, 60k, and 96k marks. There is no mention of timing belts in any of the details I have or any reciepts, and only the 1st three services were done by an Alfa garage. Would they have replaced the belts early at 60k miles? If not Im planning on getting the belts done as soon as it has passed its MOT, as the whole thing could pack up any moment.

Finally. The paint is pretty rubbish -> My previous car a 10 year old Seat had a better finish. What I mean is there are very small bits (roughly half the size of a golf tee) of the bodywork (usually around the panel edges) where the paint is just dissapearing. I have thought about touching it up myself but I am not great with patience, and a new paintless patches seems to appear every month. Is there any solution for this? --> I know these are not scratches as I have 1 or 2 scratches aswell. I am reluctant to get in a SMART repairer as they would charge a fortune for 20 - 30 repairs, and then I would need them back again next month.

All assistance would be welcome.

Thanks Onlineo.
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
Re: Hello and a couple of questions.

Copied and placed in 147 tech section.
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Re: A couple of questions. 147

Its worth phoning up the numbers on the stamps. I bought my JTD last month and called up the dealer that did the 72k service and confirmed that the belts had been done. It was all painless and the call was only 1 minute long!

The fact that the 72k stamp is not present is a bit suspicious but it could just be the fact that it was a lease car and returned just before/after the 72k point and no one could be bothered to get the stamp.
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Re: A couple of questions. 147

paint as you say is rubbish, my casual blue 147 will be going for a full blowover this summer, doesn't require the door shuts etc, and not many repairs needed so i've been quoted around 500 for a full hit. Money well spent in my eyes.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , couple , questions