Corrosion around top of windscreen - how should I treat it? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 10-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Corrosion around top of windscreen - how should I treat it?

My 156 was developing bubbles along the top edge of the windscreen/roof when I bought it, not something I noticed until a couple of weeks had passed. Unfortunately the wet and salty winter roads have exacerbated the problem and rust is beginning to show through.

Is this a common problem on 156's? I noticed there's a clear seam under the windscreen seal and I guess water and muck must collect there.

I've done bits and pieces of bodywork before, but nothing quite so critical. I know the best option would be to get the windscreen removed, grind out the rotten metal and weld. Of course that would depend on how big the holes become were after sanding/grinding. In any case, I don't have the tools or time to do this, so it would be a job for a bodyshop, who'd want to respray the whole roof. I'd imagine the combined would cost around 1K (+new windscreen possibly) and the end result wouldn't look that great.

Can I get away with filling these holes and treating the area with kurust before applying brush on primer and touching up with the metallic and then top coat?

The car's done close to 100k miles now, although I only bought it in September I don't want to throw good money after bad.

156 2.4 JTD 10v Veloce with Angel Tune (180bhp)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Re: Corrosion around top of windscreen - how should I treat it?

you can try some krust stuff

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

corrosion , top , treat , windscreen