Alfa newbie needs help with 156 selespeed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-03-09 Thread Starter
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

156 selespeed

Alfa newbie needs help with 156 selespeed gearstick problem

I have had my selespeed now for about 6 weeks and everything has been fine except now it has developed a curious fault.

Last sunday whilst at the supermarket i came out and went to go home and when i got in the car i started it put it in city mode, connected my handsfree kit then tried to drive off and nothing the car was stuck in neutral. Anyway after 3 hours of trying to fix it over the phone etc left the car in the car park (after cursing the manual for not explaining what the flashing light actually meant) for it to be towed on the monday morning.

Monday morning turned up got to the car and it started first time ?????

Anyway couple of days later i was slowing down for a mini roundabout and the car stalled in 2nd gear (with the gearbox light flashing). My alfa mechaninc came out and disconnected some box connector (hey i aint mechanically minded) and the car sprung back into life. He sat there and played with all the gears and they all changed up and down fine.

Anyway when i got home i was reversing and noticed the gearbox light was flashing, put it in first and the light went out, tried reverse again and the light wasnt on ?????

What i have found out is this sometimes the gearstick doesnt automatically return to it central position this happens generally after selecting reverse or neutral.

Diagram to illitrate what i mean:

gear up
position 1-------- position 2
gear down

Now the problem seems to be the gearstick should return to position 1 after going to position 2 (neutral) or reverse but sometimes it doesnt which is when i get the gearbox light flashing.

To test this theory since the roundabout incident i have made sure that the gearstick is back in position 1 and have had no problems.

To me it seems that if the gearstick is not back in position 1 then it seems to confuse what ever computer is running the gearbox , thinking it should be in neutral or a gear and the computer shuts down or blows a fuse or whatever italian computers do.

Anyway the question is what do i replace to get the gearstick to return to position 1 all the time

Last edited by keyboardkowboy; 09-03-09 at 16:49. Reason: edited title
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
Re: Alfa newbie needs help with 156 selespeed

I am not sure what the answer to the question is, as my car does almost the same.

The connector in question is the Selespeed relay, which is tucked between the thermostat and battery (if you do a search there will be a pic on here somewhere). It is not a special relay, and cost a reasonable 12 from the dealer, but it is worth replacing or buying a spare, if connection is lost it will not select gears etc etc as you have found out. It is easy to get to once you know where it is, so easy even mrs purple has fixed it twice this week.

The gearbox light issue sounds familiar too, ours only seems to bleep and have the light go on when going backwards and cold, but is right as rain afterwards, so in true Italian style, I turn the radio up a little when reversing. Just make sure it has the sele oil reservoir is topped to the correct level and enjoy.

AO Platinum Member
Re: Alfa newbie needs help with 156 selespeed

If you hold the lever in position, it will produce an error.
That is intentional.
It needs to return to its rest position.

It will also produce an error if you drive along with your foot constantly touching the brake pedal slightly.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , newbie , selespeed