The K&N Filter, and the Meaningless pipe ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-07-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 -2.0

The K&N Filter, and the Meaningless pipe ?

I've just fitted the K&N airfilter kit to my 147 2.0,
It replaced the whole air box and created quite a gap in the engine bay.

However i have one query, there is a pipe which fed the old air box, (and is now pointing at my K&N) and ive just noticed that it goes no-where.

It seems to end up on the right hand side of the engine behind a piece of cardboard cover.

So the questions :
What does that pipe do ?
And Given that K&N filters like cold air, and mine is sat at the bottom of the engine bay... where does it get it from.

My 145 had a cold air pipe from the front grill, so should i fit one of these ???

any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
that pipe is there so that air could come in through it!! ( )

the reason why its there, on top of the mudguard, is that in the 147 this is the place where there is maximum airflow (or something like that) wink
Mike D
Yeah, you want cold air ducted onto your new filter. The best bet would be an airbox with some ducting directly from the front of the car somewhere (sorry, not familar with the grille area on a 147). Taking in hot air from the engine bay will negate some of the benefits of the new filter.

I'm not sure about the 147 but on the 156 there is a plastic filler panel between the radiator and the bulkhead. If you look down on the airbox it is directly in front of the airbox. Looking through the grille in the lower bumper you can see it to the left of the RHS foglight. I intend cutting a hole in this plastic panel and running a large diameter pipe directly back to a hole cut in the airbox. I'll have myself a ram air intake. If I can get more air in the airbox than the engine can take out then I'll be pressurising the airbox thereby forcing air into the engine (this will only work at higher speeds though). Check the front of your 147 - there may be a similar plastic panel you can modify to get cold air directly onto your filter.

Best cold air and filterunit I know is the Pipercross Viper. Expensive but really good.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

filter , kandn , meaningless , pipe