Selespeed Clutch Rod (adjustment with alfadiag)) - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

County: Merseyside
Ah, think I've just found the answer to one part of my Q's using FietECUscan freebie version.

Simply select the model from the list and it gives all the engine, gearbox, ABS etc system details.

For anyone interested it would appear that the '02 156 JTS SELESPEED has the CFC208F gearbox -cool!

... unless you know different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

OK, connected now but stuck...

Using FiatECUscan I can't see what option I should be looking at to monitor for the 28mm.

From what I can tell it would seem that it is one of these, though I may be wrong:

Gear/ engage position 21.5mm
Selection position 17.6mm

I don't have a 'clutch actuator rod' option.

Last edited by WildStar; 13-05-12 at 01:55.
AO Member

Figured I'd just go ahead and tweak the rod anyway and see which reading changed. Turns out it was neither of the above... using FES the 'clutch rod length' is 'Clutch Pressure Plate Travel' - didn't guesss that!

Anyway, as it happens it was all in spec - 28.2mm

Well that was an hour or so wasted.

So my problem's still there:

Selespeed warning occasionally coming on, but soon clearing.
Sometimes refusing to select correct gears (95% of the time this is either 2nd or 4th gear).
Jerky when trying to 'creep' forwards or backwards.

Any advice would be appreciated

... and by the way, whoever invented the 'clicr' type hose clamps... you're a dufus!
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
I actually punched myself in the face with a pair of pliers splitting my lip trying to get one of those back on. Funny now but at the time.... Ouch!!

Have you tried smaky on the other side?

... and by the way, whoever invented the 'clicr' type hose clamps... you're a dufus!
AO Member

County: -
Hello Guys!

Is it true that the GTA selespeed push rod distance is not adjustable and constantly at 18mm?

Appreciate any reply?

Thanks!

County: Hajdu-Bihar
Works great but displays Selespeed error

Hi guys,

Just finished the procedure (rod adjustment plus calibration). Everything worked great but in the middle of the calibration process the connection between alfadiag and the ecu broke and the car LCD displayed a selespeed error message. The calibration however went on until finished and the car works great (much better than before). After it I reconnected the soft and read the stored errors but there was none in there.

Is it normal seeing an error during the calibration?

Thx!
AO Member

County: Victoria
Its not normal but at the same time, in your case it worked. so I don't think you need to worry about it.

It may have been a small glitch but as you say, the routine completed so, you should be fine.

If you want to play it safe, just do the procedure again - however make sure your battery is strong.

Drive it for a week, and check error codes again to be safe.

Don't forget to do a 'Clutch Self Adjust' (bite point) procedure... I dont know what its called in AlfaDiag, but its the one where you have to start in 2nd gear, floor it to 3000rpm then turn the motor off. It will be in the same section as the EOL.

2002 156 GTA | 330mm Brakes | Mille Miglia | Q2 | Bilstein B14 Coilovers
2003 156 JTS
1999 Mercedes C200

Thanks for the reply, I'll do so and post the results soon
AO Member

For the Clutch Self Adjust procedure, if the instructions in AlfaDiag as as bad as the ones in MES, then this may help!!!

This procedure can only be done with a correctly setup clutch rod.

1: Turn key to MAR, start MES, select CLUTCH SELF ADJUST and run it (it will finish almst instantly).

2: Turn key to OFF, wait for all lights to go out.

3: Turn the key to MAR, wait for all check lights to go out, select 2nd gear, press the brake pedal, Start the engine.

4: SELECT 2nd, accelerate with the pedal to the floor till the RPM passes 3000rpm, slow to a gentle stop.

5: Turn key to OFF, wait for lights to go out, start engine and drive normally with a nice smooth clutch.

This refers to MES, as I said I don't know what the procedure is called in AlfaDiag.

AO Member

County: -
please remember that the clutch self adjustment cannot be done on all selespeed models.

Ok guys, I think I'm totally lost with it

What I did:
1. Turn key to MAR
2. Start Alfadiag, connect
3. Start Clutch self adjust (prior to that I changed gear to N cause Alfadiag said so)
4. Waiting... waiting... waiting... (it was drawing dots for at least 10 minutes.........)
5. Became fed up and stepped to point 2 and 3 in Alfa156Melb's howto... started the engine
6. After starting the engine Alfadiag immediatelly said that the calibration was succesful

So WTF has just happened there?

Although this misery something really did happen as my clutch is now really smooth as silk.
AO Member

The software merely sends a command to the gearbox ECU, it's the gearbox's ECU that's doing all the number crunching - NOT the laptop.

All the laptop is doing is instigating the procedure.

With that in mind - follow the procedure again, I've added some extra info, I hope it helps.

1: Turn key to MAR, start Alfa Diag, select CLUTCH SELF ADJUST and run it (For MES, it will finish almost instantly - For AlfaDiag, maybe it hangs such as yours did..? I haven't done this with Alfadiag so I don't know).

2: After you press the execute button (ignore the waiting bit) - Turn key to OFF, wait for all lights to go out.

3: Turn the key back to MAR, wait for all check lights to go out, select 2nd gear, press the brake pedal, Start the engine.

(at this point, the gearbox will return to neutral as you turn the key to start - this is normal.)

4: With the engine running, re-select 2nd, accelerate with the pedal to the floor till the RPM passes 3000rpm, slow to a gentle stop.

5: Turn key to OFF, wait for lights to go out, start engine and drive normally with a nice smooth clutch.

Just remember, once you press the execute button, you can unplug the laptop if you want.. ignore the messages it throws out.

All that said, if the system is as smooth as you say.. then why mess with it?

As an aside, I'd buy myself a copy of MES if I were you. Alfa Diag works, but its old and outdated.. and I dont think its supported any more anyway ( in regards to software updates)

Also, I didn't write this guide, the ever knowledgeable Smaky wrote it and it's never failed me or anyone else using it.. trust in the guide!

Last edited by Alfa156Melb; 05-11-12 at 11:21.

Ok, thanks, I'll keep these in mind. Of course -as you also wrote- I won't do this again now as my clutch became great after this

One more side note: I also did the things you wrote after point 4 (start, accelerate, break...etc) I just forgot to mention in the last post. However when I started with 2nd gear, accelerated with pedal at floor the car started to accelerate up to about 1500-2000 and then shifted down to 1st. Afaik it's normal as having the pedal at floor makes the ecu think that I went crazy and want to achieve 10G acceleration /* just kidding */

Other: when I disassembled the lower part of the steering side (to gain acces to the OBD connector) a small black box fell out of the relay bay there which (after heavy google-ing) turned out to be this: Ideas4Cars

Since I don't know how it was installed (properly or home-built) and I don't want to enjoy a blocked car somewhere in the middle of a desert cause I don't know how this stuff works I think I'm going to remove it. Any opposite opinion on this?
AO Silver Member

County: Bangkok
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbettenbuk View Post
accelerate up to about 1500-2000 and then shifted down to 1st

Other: when I disassembled the lower part of the steering side (to gain acces to the OBD connector) a small black box fell out of the relay bay there which (after heavy google-ing) turned out to be this: Ideas4Cars
In the procedure you're supposed to stay in 2nd, right? up to 3000rpm at least

I don't like this anti-carjacking thing. I guess it is because I don't understand how it works. I really suspect it is useless and you may forget your code and need to ask a thief how to remove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loknar View Post
In the procedure you're supposed to stay in 2nd, right? up to 3000rpm at least
Yep, you're right. But it wasn't me who shifted back to 1st but the car itself due to the throttle position.
AO Silver Member

County: Bangkok
Unless in city mode I don't think this should happen. And since you selected 2nd gear I think this should take you out of city mode.

Maybe your GT selespeed is different?

Can you confirm the procedure was (really) successful anyway?

Yep, it seems to be fine now. In extreme cold it's a bit rough for the first 3-4 shifts but then it's like honey

But yeah, the gearbox was in city mode even after changing to 2nd
AO Member

It will stay in city mode until you select manual mode. Manually changing gear doesn't cancel city mode, you have to press the city button.
AO Member

County: Pest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa156Melb View Post
3: Turn the key back to MAR, wait for all check lights to go out, select 2nd gear, press the brake pedal, Start the engine.

(at this point, the gearbox will return to neutral as you turn the key to start - this is normal.)

4: With the engine running, re-select 2nd, accelerate with the pedal to the floor till the RPM passes 3000rpm, slow to a gentle stop.
Sory for my bad English, but i have a question about point 3. 4., because i am not sure what happened when you re-select 2nd gear (of course you have to select 1st too before you do it).
Is the car have to go out for while? Have to move out from a garage, or have to lift it up?

I have a FES. Is Clutch Pressure Plate Travel values similar to Alfadiag's Clutch actuator position?

Thanks. Have a Nice Day
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa155 View Post
Sory for my bad English, but i have a question about point 3. 4., because i am not sure what happened when you re-select 2nd gear (of course you have to select 1st too before you do it).
Is the car have to go out for while? Have to move out from a garage, or have to lift it up?
You don't start the procedure when you are parked in a garage.
Drive to somewhere where you can do it (ie a quiet straight road), the engine needs to be warmed up (so that the ECU thinks the gearbox is also warmed up) to do it anyway.

If you tap the lever forward quickly twice it will select 2nd without going through 1st, but that doesn't matter anyway. The point is that you are moving off from stationary in 2nd gear with the throttle flat to the floor.
AO Member

County: Devon
Just done this today from 31.9 to 28.3 im guessing thatll highlight a worn clutch or something next
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Smaky,
my car drives fine except the gear changes are not perfectly smooth, there is a rattle on the gear changes, very brief.
Have you encountered this ?

Paulo

hi there,
do you guys know where to buy alfadiag in australia?
cheers
Paulo
AO Gold Member

Just download

dnecudiag.codeplex.com
AO Member

thanks Smaky,
Always amazes me how grubby everyones engine compartments are, when owners post up fotos ? lol

Any chance of giving us the full proceedure, how to get the MES to connect & where to plug it, I am having so much trouble & MES mob are not a lot of help ! My 98 SPIDER has to have 3pin connector/adapter which I have now. But still can't make work & my 2001 156 MONZA selespeed does not need a 3pin adapter but still can't get it to work. I need help, I have purchased 2 cables, each supplier, said they were the correct ones.
one from China & one from the UK. Still no workie !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
adjustment , alfadiag , clutch , rod , selespeed