Selespeed Clutch Rod (adjustment with alfadiag)) - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

County: Blaenau Gwent
Successs!!!!

WooHoo.....

Just carried out this routine after the car decided it no longer wanted to work. The car stopped changing gears, then wouldnt move out of 1st and thus wouldn't restart. Found the clutch rod to be about 31.5 mm. Adjusted by torch light, with gloves on (14th Dec, and 6pm) , and then became pleasantly surprised when everything worked as it should!

Thanks, keep up the good work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Great post - tagged.

Any news on bleeding the system.
Are we talking about the pressure relief valve or is there another bleed screw?

thanks again
Club Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
Could this Thread be made a sticky
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrid View Post
Great post - tagged.

Any news on bleeding the system.
Are we talking about the pressure relief valve or is there another bleed screw?

thanks again
There's a bleed screw next to where one of the pipes enters the actuator, but AFAIK this it just to bleed the system from empty (eg when the actuator is changed).

The clutch bleed routine is automatic (again, afaik).
AO Member

Thanks Iainfm
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
my selespeed 147 when trying to select a gear just wont the gear stick moves but just wont go into gear,whats most likely to be the problem any help would be great thankyou.

County: Basel-Landschaft
Wave Help Please

All,

I am new to Alfa and to Alfa Forum!

All the posts that I read on this thread sounds like a Latin to me, can someone help please?

I recently bought an Alfa 147 Distinctive. Your guidance to make best use of my car (am getting addicted on my 147, may be a fanatic after spending quite some money!!..forgive me) is well appreciated.

Thanks & Best Regards
Anand

County: Dorset
selespeed woes

I have just purchased a 156 selespeed (2001), it had a new clutch fitted 600 miles ago. problem that i am coming up against is that occasionally if i select 1st gear before the car has come to a standstill it loses drive and makes a sound as if it is not quite in gear properly. when this happens the car will not change to any other gear or neutral and there is a clicking noise from under the bonnet (even with the ignition turned off), if a remove the main 20amp fuse at the battery positive block or disconnect the battery for a second or so then replace/connect them the car is ok and will select neutral and drive ok again. The red warning light flashes and a beep is heard as the car drives, the diagnostic tool throws up "pump driving relay stuck". i have fitted a new accumulator to the actuator and also replaced the two black relays that are located in front of the battery. a new battery has also been fitted. Any ideas what the problem may be? the gearchange is fine in either city or manual mode apart from this.

County: Dorset
just changed the ecu for one from a car with no faults and it wont change up the gears with ign on and engine not running, it goes from first to neutral, start it up,select first,put under power with brake on and it drops into neutral, also city mode not selecting.

Huge clutch slip

Hi all

Sorry this is a first post and on an old thread but I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.

I have massive clutch slip (or what appears to be clutch slip) in first gear. I have to get the car to about 4.5k revs to get first to engage. Once its done this it will drive ( a little jerky) and change between other gears)... this sis until you come to a standstill (at a junction say) at which point you need to get the car up to 4.5k revs again to start moving (same in reverse).

Bought the lead, bought alfadiag but not really sure if I'm looking for adjusting the clutch or whether its sounds to y'all like the clutch/gearbox/car is shot.

Any help really appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by Elmo the Bear; 23-06-10 at 08:43. Reason: Awful spelling
AO Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaky View Post
1, Load up Examiner or Alfadiag and select the "Selespeed" ECU, connect and then go to the "Sensor" tab, in the drop down menu select "Clutch Adjustment Position" and check the position on the graph. If it is outside of 28 - 28.5mm then continue, otherwise your done.
Ok guys, after weeks of messing around with Alfadiag and trying to get it working on a laptop ( any one will do ! ), I have finally managed to connect to the 147 s/speed with a view to adjusting the rod position. ( history - had years of selespeed problems that resulted in a s/s pump change about 2.5 years ago and now playing up again - been in and out of Alfa's on numerous occassions with no end result, grr. ) Anyway, it has been very jumpy from stand still ( kangerooing like mad sometimes, especially when hot ).
Decided to have a look at this 28mm reading.
Mine was about 18mm ( I had been adjusting manually/guessing before ).

Quote:
5, Now to adjust the rod you hold the piston still and rotate the larger 19mm rod, out to increase the length of corse. Watch the display as you do it to ensure you don't go too far, when it'sin limits lock off the 10mm nut and refit the dust cover
I can make some adjustment up to about 21.5mm, but then nothing. I was turning the nut by hand at first then with an adjustable, but nothing more. It stayed at 21.5mm. I didn't want to over do it as the rod looked like it would not move out anymore and it was getting very tight ! ).

Quote:
6, Now click the "Actuators" tab and select "Calibration Routines", Bleed the clutch and then run the EOL Auto adjust. You'll hear a lot of whiring and clunking, that's normal, just keep your fingers out of the way.
I decided to carry out these two routines anyway, just for the hell of it.
I have yet to road test her, but am not holding my breath.

Question is, if my reading will not go anywhere near 28mm, is my clutch shot ?
I think the question may have been asked on this thread before, but I dont think it was answered.
Any ideas please gents ? ( I wonder if this is why Alfa's have had it and not managed to fix it yet ? )

NB - there is another clutch routine that sets the pinch point, but that does not seem to work. Does it apply to s/speeds?

Cheers guys.
(Post Link) post #37 of 109 Old 29-06-10 Thread Starter
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire
No, your clutch may be shot but the reading not going near 28mm is not the reason, my first question is, Are you using Alfadiag V3.3? If so then that is the problem, you need V3.2 or older to get the rod length to read correctly. I can send you a copy of that version if you send me your email addy, you can just use your current license code for it anyway.

Also your engine wasn't running was it? If so again, turn it off and do it with the key just at MAR as if you check the length with it running it will be shorter as it will be extended to hold the clutch off till you take up drive (even in N).

But believe it or not your problems are indicative of a faulty clutch rod sensor and this is probably the easiest one of the lot to sort, but it does also fit a worn clutch and if it's over 80K then the chances are that is what it is and that is a busy afternoon.
Regional Representative

County: East Ayrshire
We were doing the same thing today using Examiner smart HD , Clutch rod ,is that the same as clutch plunger ?? The car in question had a new clutch put in the examiner did the callibration and clutch bleed ,but kept throwing up lengthen clutch plunger as an error . It was lengthened then the box recallibrated . But we have to recallibrate after 1000 miles . Is this correct Smaky ?? we dont do many selespeeds just needing to know for future referrence .
(Post Link) post #39 of 109 Old 29-06-10 Thread Starter
Unregistered

The same yes, but every 12,000 miles / annual service was what we recommended when designing it. Alfa took this on as "sod it, if it breaks then there's more profit in replacing the actuator".

BTW Examiner HD has measurement issues with the older Sele ECU and I don't use it because of that.
AO Member

Quote:
No, your clutch may be shot but the reading not going near 28mm is not the reason, my first question is, Are you using Alfadiag V3.3? If so then that is the problem, you need V3.2 or older to get the rod length to read correctly. I can send you a copy of that version if you send me your email addy, you can just use your current license code for it anyway..
Ah, that be the reason then. I am suprised Derek has not mentioned that in the correspondance I have been having with him. What has he changed on 3.3 then. Is he aware.
Thanks for the info and I will pm my e mail. Any chance asap please? I really want to put this one to bed ( or rather the misses does ). Its driving her ( and therefore me ) mad.

Quote:
Also your engine wasn't running was it? If so again, turn it off and do it with the key just at MAR as if you check the length with it running it will be shorter as it will be extended to hold the clutch off till you take up drive (even in N)..
No, I did notice it changes to about 10 or 11mm whilst engine runing.

Quote:
But believe it or not your problems are indicative of a faulty clutch rod sensor and this is probably the easiest one of the lot to sort, but it does also fit a worn clutch and if it's over 80K then the chances are that is what it is and that is a busy afternoon.
Lets try 3.2 first and not worry about a worn clutch. She has only done about 40k, but then again it is the misses driving ;-)

Thanks for the prompt response Smaky.
Regional Representative

County: East Ayrshire
Quote:
The same yes, but every 12,000 miles / annual service was what we recommended when designing it. Alfa took this on as "sod it, if it breaks then there's more profit in replacing the actuator".

BTW Examiner HD has measurement issues with the older Sele ECU and I don't use it because of that.
Cheers Smaky , i get what you are saying about the measurement issues with examiner HD . It was doing the hokey cokey to get it to 28mm
(Post Link) post #42 of 109 Old 30-06-10 Thread Starter
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawsub View Post
Cheers Smaky , i get what you are saying about the measurement issues with examiner HD . It was doing the hokey cokey to get it to 28mm
Exactly.
AO Member

County: Porto
Hello

How valid is this tutorial for the Fiat stilo Abarth selespeed?

FiatEcuScan software reads 15.704mm on mine.

thanks

County: Vestfold
Does V3.4 have this bug fixed, or is it the same as V3.3?

Just checked mine with V3.4 and it says 29.5mm, sounds reasonable to me so just checking if it is advisable to proceed with the adjustment using v3.4?
AO Member

Hi all
My original problem was that the gears were jumping into neutral after long journeys ( when hot ) and also after a first attempt at a clutch rod visual adjustment, the car was engaging first too quickly........
Been meaning to post some info on my latest exploits, but been busy and now have finally got round to it...............

After my doubts on the accuracy of AlfaDiag I am now a little more confident that it may be fine.......when connecting with the correct Selespeed ECU unit.

The misses 147 s/s is now driving fine after a lot of messing around with AlfaDiag and FiatECUscan.

Connectivity :
What I will say is that, for me, FiatECUscan ( FES ) worked with a laptop running XP and with a USB----> serial converter. AlfaDiag ( a/d ) would not work with this laptop unless I used a docking station ( giving me 9 pin D type serial connectivity, full RS232 )..............but I also had to use a power supply that was man enough for it as well. The original PSU I had for it was a lower power PSU and when I tried a higher power PSU, it worked fine ( must be something to do with having enough power to supply the docking station/additional external ports, bear that in mind ).
NB – quite hard to find an XP laptop with full RS232, 9 pin D type serial ports now.

Once I got connected with both FES and A/D ( inc. 2 versions of FES 1.6/2.3.1 ), I did some measurements whilst hot ( engine running idle for at 30-45mins )

FiatECUscan v1.6
Clutch Eng Position ( self adjusted ) - 27.804mm
Clutch Pedal Position - 27.846mm
Clutch Pressure Plate reference - 27.846mm

FiatECUscan v2.3.1
Clutch Eng Position ( self adjusted ) - 27.804mm
Clutch Pressure Plate Reference - 27.846mm
Clutch Pressure Plate Travel - 27.846mm

AlfaDiag v3.3.1.0
Using CFC208F Selespeed ECU
Actuator position - 27.85mm
Ref position clutch acc - 27.846mm
Auto cal clutch position closed - 27.846mm

Using CFC218F Selespeed ECU
Actuator position - 17.24mm
Ref position clutch acc - 27.846mm
Auto cal clutch position closed - 27.846mm

As can be seen, using a/d, the only reading that changes is the actuator position, using 218F it is 17.24mm and using 208F it is 27.85mm. This is the reading that changes when the rod position is manually adjusted.
I think my error was using 218F when I should have been using a 208F ECU.
NB - I have not used the newly released v3.4.0.1 to compare readings.

NB - these were the 'hot' readings and when the engine cooled, the readings decreased by about 0.2-0.3mm.
This therefore meant that when hot, I had to adjust to 28.3mm-28.5mm and when it cooled, it returned to about 28.1mm-28.3mm.

So far, she has driven well, although gear changing can occur at slightly higher revs, bus as long as the weather is warm, I am happy.

I probably will have to re adjust for the winter.........but that's just one of the joys of being an Alfa owner eh ?
AO Member

County: Porto
Did you only had to remove the battery tray to access it?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshagg View Post
Did you only had to remove the battery tray to access it?
Yes I did, but this was on an Alfa 147 not the Fiat Stilo. No idea if there is any comparison with the two.

County: Vestfold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggen View Post
Does V3.4 have this bug fixed, or is it the same as V3.3?
Just checked mine with V3.4 and it says 29.5mm, sounds reasonable to me so just checking if it is advisable to proceed with the adjustment using v3.4?
OK, did the procedure this weekend using V3.4. Adjusted the rod length from 29.5mm to 28.1mm. Then did the bleed and EOL calibration.
However around 3/4 into the EOL AlfaDiag looses connection to the ECU, timeout error. The procedure seems to continue with the expected clunking sounds for a while before ending with two double beeps. I did 3 attempts all loosing the connection.
There are no fault codes registered, and the car drives just fine.

Should I assume the procedure finished ok and all is well, or is there cause for concern?

Many thanks for the excellent instructions!

Edit: Checked the value of the Gearbox AutoCalibration Error Code sensor it says "Autocalibration OK", so I assume its fine.

Edit2: Tried running the routine again a day later, and this time it went through without a timeout error. Sounded exactly the same as earlier though and got "Autocalibration OK" again so it was probably fine yesterday too.

Last edited by Veggen; 04-08-10 at 13:34.
AO Member

County: Victoria
great thread.. but i have a question.... the seles i have driven jerk quite a bit during the 1st to 2nd change... is this usually a calibration issue?

can the selespeed in an 02 or 04 car be jerk free? or is it merely a function of the gear ratios?
(Post Link) post #50 of 109 Old 03-08-10 Thread Starter
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshagg View Post
Hello

How valid is this tutorial for the Fiat stilo Abarth selespeed?

FiatEcuScan software reads 15.704mm on mine.

thanks
Try it without the engine running.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
adjustment , alfadiag , clutch , rod , selespeed