Weird stiffening clutch scenario - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 01-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2JTS

Weird stiffening clutch scenario

Hi guys,

I have a strange thing going on with the clutch on my GT. It is just over 4 years old with 32,000 miles on the clock. Generally, it tends to go like this:

I drive to work in the morning/home in the evening - its only 2.5 miles each way. No clutch issues (but 2nd-3rd can be a bit notchy at first). Then on some evenings I will drive to the gym which is just over 5 miles away. Everything is fine on the way there, but on the way home (45mins later) the clutch tends to stiffen up, particularly near the biting point just over halfway down the clutch travel.

It will then stay stiff, but all of a sudden as I near home it will just cure itself - and actually feel better than it did at the beginning of the day! Its been so consistent recently I am getting to know which part of the journey it will be become OK!

The car was serviced just over a month ago and I asked the garage to check it, they could find no clutch fault or get the problem to appear.

It has also done this towards the end of a 2-3 hour motrway trip as well, which obviously has a lot less clutch use, so am wondering if temperature has anything to do with it.

Does anyone have any ideas? Its not causing me a problem as such but my main concern is if the clutch is showing signs of giving up!
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Re: Weird stiffening clutch scenario

I have exactly the same problem, good if someone give us some advise
AO Member
County: Banskobystricky
Re: Weird stiffening clutch scenario

I had same problem on my old 164 (similar clutch system) and it was polution in the secondary clutch cylinder

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clutch , scenario , stiffening , weird