Price check on a 156 TSpark (possibly selling) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 01-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Price check on a 156 TSpark (possibly selling)

As I've recently changed jobs and am now working locally, I'm potentially looking at selling the car to cut some costs (insurance etc that I'll be paying when hardly using the car makes no sense as travel to work will be by bike now - 5 min ride! \o/)

Yes, I will miss her terribly if I do sell, but needs must and all that, although I've sworn - every car I own from here on in, will be an Alfa <3

This being the land of love for Alfa's and all that, figured best place to check this out, if it's worth it I'll put in classifieds here before anywhere else as I'd rather she went to a "proper" home :-)

156 1.8 Twin Spark, Black, Camel Leather Interior (yum!)
100k on clock
Part service history, only 3 owners (inc me) from new.
Gorgeous interior with a couple of very minor wear marks.
Sony stereo
5/6 Months Tax & MOT
It's an Alfa, awesome drive!

The bad/minor:

Pretty certain needs new MAF sensor and thermostat (about 50 total off the right people!) once warmed up, no issues, but stuttery from cold (first thing in mornings atm) drives perfectly after this, typical woman, grumpy in the morning I guess

Minor damage to front passenger side bumper where some idiot reversed into me in the car park (soft impact as I managed to stop smashing into it!), will put up pics, but wing is slightly out (not hanging on the floor!) so will need re-aligning etc and spraying as has chunk of the paint about the size of your palm missing).

Rest of body work in awesome condition, some minor light marks around the key lock where some numpty obvioulsy couldn't aim (not me) these are v.small, and looks like the drivers side wing mirror housing was resprayed at some point for some reason before my time, probably clipped by a passing car etc.

Alloys in average condition (how I got it unfortunately) obviously work fine, but could use recoating or replacing eventually.

Brake Discs - need new.

Sticking caliper drivers side front brake (resulting in a "clunk" when you brake.

And er, little L shaped bracket underneath the car that attaches to the exhaust and main chasis (guessing as an aditional stabaliser for it?) needs re-welding to the exhaust.

I'll get photo's up soon, but wanted to gauge interest and see whether it was worth selling or whether I should just declare her SORN for a while. I think these are only minor issues, and regardless of these I've not had any down time with her at all.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfa.jpg (74.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Dreamz; 01-03-09 at 18:41.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Durham
Re: Price check on a 156 TSpark (possibly selling)

By the sounds of it, I would personally do all the jobs as best you can.

Instead of leaving the damage on the paint work I would get hold of some black gloss sticky back vinyl from a DIY store and cut a square section out to stick over.
A potential buyer won't notice it on a photo but would if it was left untouched, in other words: you need them to visit the car , not give them an excuse to avoid it!
You can tell them what you have done when they come to view and still be honest about it.

Take the car to a local tyre and exhaust centre (not kwikfit etc.) Ask them if they can reweld the bracket... A tenner should suffice!

Try cleaning the MAF and see if that does the trick.... Plenty of how to's on this forum. Again why give a reason for a buyer not to put his hand in his pocket. You can tell him you have cleaned it but will need replacing soon!

The wing is bolted on. try loosening the bolts off and re-align the wing and re-tighten them.

Alloys!... OK nothing that 3 hours work for all 4 wheels can't solve
Have you got a foot pump?

If you have then take one wheel off at a time and let the pressure down.
Then push the bead away from the edge of the rim....
Mask the tyre with tape and paper.
Use wet and dry from 400 to 1200 grit to get rid of any flakey paint and corrosion.
You will need 3 tins of alloy silver wheel spray and 1-2 tins of clear laquer and spray light coats until the wheel looks good then use a quick coat of laquer to seal it... use household soap on the tyre bead to help it re-seal. Pump the tyre up and fit the wheel back on.....

All these things will cost you about 50 outlay but you can safely say that you have just increased your asking price by 200! so it is worth doing!
Don't be a lazy seller, buyers are lazy to start off with, don't give them an excuse for them to find fault with the car in the first place... Remember, it's a buyers market out there m8.

Yessssss! Nero black, Black momo leather, sunroof and air con in a 156 2.0 twin spark..... = Heaven, pure heaven

Anyone can give advice on cars like "replace this part, replace that"... Start with the simplest solution and then work your way through it logically... Its a hell of a lot easier and cheaper!

Last edited by Ronny v6; 01-03-09 at 18:51.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , check , possibly , price , selling , tspark