147 'Bumpy' cornering - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
147 'Bumpy' cornering

I've had a new 147 2.0 from Smartalfa, it's only 2 months old and I'm getting worried about the handling... when I power out of bends I get quite a nasty judder back through the steering wheel from the front wheels. Its as if the front wheels are almost boucing sideways, and not gripping.

I have the 17 inch sport alloys with lower profile tyres than I'm used to... but surly this should give me better handling?

It makes now difference if the traction control is on or off.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: -
Unfortunately I cannot answer you question.

The joke reply might be:
Is there any tread left after 2 months of excited driving. eek!

and I presume that tyre pressures are ok
Possibly Shock absorbers but car is only 2 mths old !!!!!.
Sounds like normal behaviour since there is no limited slip differential in the gear box. The inner wheel gets all the power when pushing hard out of the curve. It happens also when accellerating on the straight and then pulling happens from other side to other side and vice versa. It's really annoying when trying to accellerate from traffic lights during winter time (on snow or ice).

Good news is that the car is powerful enough to do that wink There are aftermarket LSDs for the car that will help if you are really annoyed.

But first! Get the alignment of the wheels checked first. There has been odd wheel alignments originated from the factory also.
Has anyone go proper alignment stats? A garage in SA told me that they would not align my wheels (even though the machine had the official alignment values from Alfa) because they have had bad experiences with several "new" model cars, where, due to inexperience of the manufacturer, the official alignment figures are not optimal (ie there is still uneven where, even though the alignment is within tolerance levels!)
AO Member
I’ve a question…my “bella” is lower 3-4cm…doesn’t they have to change to a different alignment settings?
What I want to say is that when lowing a car I think the camber opens a little bit, and now I have almost new tires from the outside and no rubber from the inside!
Does anyone have this problem?
Do you think I ask to change to a more neutral camber?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

I had exactly the opposite problem (on measurements, not on noticable results on the tyres) and the alignnment guy told me that a set of Eibachs would correct the camber problem, since the camber angle is not adjustable at the 147. Go figure... I havent lowered my car btw.
AO Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jomor:
<strong>... since the camber angle is not adjustable at the 147. </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How can he say that!!!! eek! rant
I had a problem with high speeds when my 147 had few weeks…the rear of the car was jumping and coming out the road easily, and when I went to the dealer the man and I discovered that the back wheels was not properly alignment from factory…they were more than 1.5 % of positive camber!!!
So the 147 can have the camber, caster and toe adjust, your mechanic didn’t known what was talking about!!! rant laughing
But next week I have to go to Alfa dealer fix my exhaust support and check my camber, etc…because I have in the back also one tyre almost new and one not so new!

BMC CDA,CCV bypass,Warped Header,Revs@8000rpm
No pre-kats, Inox Muffler,flywheel -0.8kg,LuK Clutch

I'm no expert but the front suspension is double wishbone which is supposed to keep the wheels at a neutral camber. This might be why it cannot be adjusted. I've had mine lowered by 25mm and the tyre wear has been pretty even.
AO Gold Member
how did you lower it 25 mm darkstar? what springs / shocks have you used?
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
When you lower you must align the steering. The body comes down with the steering rack. Which means the tie rods are pushing out further. I expect a 10mm reduction to add about 2 degrees Toe In.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , bumpy , cornering