Help needed my alfa is not running right - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 24-02-09 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire

Member car:

alfa 156

Help Help needed my alfa is not running right

Hi im not sure if im posting this in the right place ,but im sure someone will move it to the right place.My problem is my 98 2ltr 156 is running poor ,it seems to run well at times but most of the time the revs are all over the place.On slowing down to a stop it will drop to 500 and then up to 1500 and then fluctuate untill i move off.While driving it holds back ,and seems a bit chuggy maybe missing and sometimes seems like a kangaroo.Is it me or do alfa engines sound noisy on start up almost like a diesel ? or could there be a problem there ?When i purchased the car i spotted black tape around the intake pipe that joins the throttle body,i replaced this with a new one hopeing it would cure my problems but it has'nt.I have found some paper work which suggests that the lambda sensor and the maf was replaced about 18 months ago.I have heard that there can be many reasons why they play up like this.Has any one any suggestions or advice on how to solve this/these problems.Im not good with engines lol ,so need advice to be as simple as possible Cheers
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Glasgow

Member car:

156 2005 2.0 jts

Re: Help needed my alfa is not running right

Im not exactly experienced myself but by what ive read through this forum i would ask how sure are you that the maf was changed when you think it was!? Remove the connector from the maf and run the car. If it still runs like a donkey this could be the prob! Also check the connections to the maf for any tell tale signs that you're not getting a good contact. i dont know if the maf runs of a fuse by itself but check your fuses too.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , needed , running