How do I Change my plugs and...? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Nicola Romeo
How do I Change my plugs and...?

Hey Guys,
Well, seeing as my dealer has gone t!ts up I've decided to change my spark plugs myself, just one thing I dunno how to do it?

I've just taken the cover off the engine and I can only see four plug connectors where are the other four? I'm confused. I'm not scared of getting my hands dirty and have worked on (normal old fashioned alfa engines with carbs hehe) for years but I'm not paying the stupid prices the garage wants then driving 50 miles for the pleasure.

Get this too, they were 47 inc eek! rant

Please help
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Can't be sure as I only got a fleeting glimpse in the workshop when mine was being screwed back together after a major head job (don't ask!)

The single connector fits on both plugs. Remove it and you should see one normal 13mm plug and one smaller 10mm plug. Not like the old TSpark in my 75!

Nicola Romeo
Has anybody else done this job? what do I need tools wise apart from the obvious plug spanners?

AO Member

Member car:

Remove the engine cover.

Then remove all the coil packs, can't remember whether the bolts a ribe or torques, but a torques 30 will do the job. Also remove the three bolts on the brass look plate under the coilpack. If you have pulled the coil packs off each of the plugs then just lift the plate with the coil packs. Use the plug spanner and remove the plugs. Make sure you mop up most of the oil if there is oil down the plug holes.

Put the new plugs in and tighten until they washer meets the cylinder head. Then I think you have to tighten it by 3/4 of a turn as the washer compresses.

Reverse the process for putting back together.

Mr T
Nicola Romeo
Thanks, that's a great help, unlike the price for the plugs sheeeeeeeeeezzz rant rant rant
Nicola Romeo
I did it it was fairly easy if not a bit fiddly, the only thing is it had NGK plugs in it which I didn't know about and the new ones are Champion.
I've just been out on a 100 mile romp and they seem fine, what do you guys use?

When I had alfasuds I only ever used Golden lodge plugs, these days I just dunno.
AO Gold Member
NGK are three times the price of Champions, the Champions will not last 100.000 km like the NGK's.
But I reckon you will not keep your Alfa for another 100.000 km

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

change , plugs