166 engine support bush! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
166 engine support bush!

I knew that the engine top support was worn as I could see a small split in the rubber bush at the engine mount end. I ordered a replacement last friday and collected today. I was surprised as it was slightly differant. The old one had a bar about 10mm in diameter and a damping bush clamped on this. New one, no clamped bush and the bar is 25mm in diameter.Removed the old support and the rubber bush fell out! The rubber was completly done in. So all 166 owners hows yours?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Bikes these days

Paul, I shall have a look now that you have mentioned it. What symptoms were you seeing to warrant checking the bush?

AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire
Thanks for the advice Paul. Have to say mine looks like new.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

When the engine bushes are worn out ( i hope I understood what part you are talking about, isnt that the rubber thing that absorbs the engine's vibrations? ) you hear a "clunk" noise usually at low speeds, when changing gear or pushing or releasing the accelerator suddenly.

A way to test it is: Turn of the engine and put first gear. Leave the handbrake down. Open the bonnet, and try moving the car with your hands ( 1st gear enganged, handbrake not enabled) forwards - backwards as much as possible. You will hear a clunk noise from the engine's base. A visual inspection is also necessary (at a friends Saxo it happened once a similar noise but it was coming from a loose exhaust connection near the cat.)
This bush support is on top of the engine on the left hand side however it is to absorb vibration and to stop the engine from moving under load. To check as said try to move the engine back and forth (make sure the engine is cold) while someone else looks at the bush from the side. This will show if the bush is starting to split.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

166 , bush , engine , support