No car no joy..... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
No car no joy.....

My alfa (finally?!?eventually??!) let me down on Saturday evening......

First some background...
About a week ago, driving about 90km/h in 3rd, and heard a "air blow-out" sound (similar to an exhaust gasket saying goodbye. The car still ran, but was down on power (could not even keep up with toyota 1600's!)Had the exhaust checked out by 2 different exhaust places, and no air leaks from the boxes/pipes after the branch.

Since is was driving and due for a service this week, thought it could wait till this week....WRONG. On saturday night, switched from City to sele mode.....did a quick double-down gear change...and the car stalled!! Tried starting it several times, no joy. The motor would swing, but it would not restart!

And this a week after receiving a letter (via REGISTERED mail) from my alfa dealer regarding the alternator wiring and also the sele re-wiring (for lack of electrical power, amongst other things!!).

Took it this morning (via flatbed tow truck) to Alfa (a different one from whom car was purchased) to diagnose and service. Still waiting to hear the bad news.... eek!

If Anyone has any ideas about what it could be, I would be very interested!! I dont want to get ripped off (again?).
Sponsored Links

I have had similar problems with my 147 selespeed. You mention that the dealer said they need to redo some "alternator wiring"...

There was a recall of sorts for the 147 selespeed: below ~2000 revs the alternator was not charging the battery. Apparently there is was factory fault where a particular wire from the central computer to the alternator is missing. As I do a lot of town driving this seemed to make sense.

See also:

Warning: Get alternator bugfix

Flat battery on my 147

After the new wire was fitted things have been fine - as you'll see from the posts above, my 147 kept running its battery flat.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the help Slade! Will make sure they fix these factory faults.....only problem many factory faults are still out there.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

car , joy