v power diesel episode - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

Originally Posted by olihodgson View Post
with subarus, and i am pretty sure most other cars, you would need to reset the ECU after changing to v power fuel. in a scoob it theoretically would take 1000 refills to reset the cars timing to the higher octane fuel, i would assume the alfa would be the same. Since buying my JTD 2.4 156 i haven't managed to get a tank of v power in yet, but as soon as i do i will reset the ecu by removing battery for half hour, then report back. cars pulling well with normal diesel but V power has made the world of difference in my scoobs so i am thinking or hoping it will do the same for the alfa!
whats this about reseting ,the knock sensor is it i believe will self adjust timing as you drive
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cornwall

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

it does and doesn't, it adjusts itself to protect itself, i.e retards itself when a lower octane fuel is used to prevent detonation, but doesn't do the same forwards if a higher octane fuel is used again, well, it does but incredibly slowly. As i say, that may just be on early scoobs but whenever i have switched to v power on any car in the past i have made sure to reset the ECU, otherwise theres a risk your just pointlessly buying v power, and as i was, millers octane booster also.
My girlfriend drives a remapped 306 hdi and the difference v power makes is massive, literally above 3k rpm it feels much more free and powerful, wants to rev more freely, and below 3k its just alot smoother. even the engine note changes. I always reset her ECU with a tank of v power too
I have heard very good things about P Ultimate, but the nearest station with it is about 25 miles from me in a dump of a town, so unless i'm passing through i won't be trying it anytime soon!
AO Member

Member car:

mk4 astra

i found they dont like bio , tryed some in mine it lost most of its power , back to bp derv , it looks like its a very limted map ,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

diesel , episode , power