Goodbye - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 18-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Q2

After 18 months and 30,000 miles of Alfa driving I'm bidding goodbye to my GT Q2.

The Q2 is a beautiful car to drive on fast, open roads with a smooth surface. This winter, however, I've spent most of my time tip toeing between pot holes.

I'm happy to report that in my ownership the car was impeccable, refined, smooth, and had an excellent build quality. I didn't have any rear hatch, or dash rattles, no strange electrical problems. Tyre wear was very acceptable on the P-zero rossos (20k on the front and 30k+ on the rear).

My minor complaints relate to: i) paintwork which is unacceptably brittle; ii) the paint wear on the sill caused by the lower rubber seals on the doors. My major complaints are i) depreciation (nearly 50% in 18 months!), and; ii) the attitude of Alfa Romeo and their dealers. Whilst buying the car was an efficient process, not once was I made to feel special. Despite numerous attempts at registering I could never get hold of Alfa's in-house magazine (I'm still receiving Audi's). The service facilities were not of the high standard I would have expected and response from service managers poor. I'm still waiting answers to simple questions that I raised more than 12 months ago and have since repeated.

This is unlike my experience with Audi where I was treated royally, the service department were 1st class with spotless conditions and the response of service managers spot on.

If Alfa want to project a premium image and compete with the likes of BMW, Mercedes and Audi then they will have to raise their game. My experience suggests the cars are worthy of far better support from the backroom staff.

What did I change to. Don't laugh a Fiat Panda Cross 4 x 4. A very different vehicle, but in many ways one that is far more capable than the GT. Perfect for the deteriorating roads, and offers me the option of true 4 x 4 capability in poor weather/traction conditions. The car has adequate space for 2, excellent ergonomics, excellent fuel economy and barely perceptible acceleration! None the less my commute has been filled with smiles, fun when splashing through puddles, ability to see far ahead due to the high driving position, and a total time door to door which is....wait for it...identical to the same journey in the GT!

So all in I'm still smiling, having fun and enjoying my driving but in a different way. I'll miss the GT as I can honestly say it was the best drivers best car that I have owned. It's only let down by Alfa Romeo.

Have fun everyone. I'll check in from time to time and maybe, one day, return to the fold.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Cheshire
Re: Goodbye

Quite a change. Best of luck (at least it is still Italian!).

You'll be back!
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

GT ss/Cav mk1

.....immagine yourself being an Alfa Romeo owner in Cyprus
AO Member
County: West Sussex

I do see where your coming from of a sense. i'd rather sell my house than the car but the worsed thing about alfa romeo is alfa romeo itself. Thank god for places like his ive had more answers and fun on here then hours on the phone to the dealers about my 156. I just presumed they were like it 'cos it was an old model an didnt want to know but everyone seems to feel the same about them.

i couldnt drive a panda though.....
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Bomb cratered road surfaces need a serious machine in my opinion too. Good luck with your capable all terrainer'?
Regional Representative
For East Midlands - AOEM
County: Leicestershire

Shame your dealer didn't come upto the quality of ya GT....
i'm still enjoying mine....
AO Member
County: West Sussex

Good luck, the Panda is a cool little car enjoy your ride!
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

I agree with your assessment of Audi after-sales care. My mate is now on his 4th Audi, & although the cars have not been as reliable as their reputation suggests (my Brera is far more reliable than his A8 or A3 have been) the BIG difference is how his dealer has looked after him. A superb collection of courtesy cars always available to him, or taking out demonstrators for a day whilst his is in for minor work. And none of this has ever been hard work for him. They answer the phone quickly & politely, he's never put on hold, & all his requests (except letting him have an R8 for a weekend) have been granted without any hesitation. His view is that although the cars haven't been perfect, he's always had an Audi at his disposal, whatever his needs.
Alfa UK really should take lessons from them.
Still prefer Alfas cars though.
AO Silver Member
County: South Lanarkshire

That car change reminds me of going from a 3.0 V6 GTV to a Panda 100HP.

220bhp to 100bhp. But still fun nonetheless.

Enjoy the Panda Cross.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT