1.6L 147 TS Lusso - Failure to start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
1.6L 147 TS Lusso - Failure to start

Hi guys,

Just thought I would describe my latest glich in case anyone else had a similar issue.

Yesterday, my 147 wouldn't start. It had been running fine throughout the cold snap we've been having in the UK, and last weekend I'd done my normal oil, tyres, coolant checks and then parked it up in the garage for 7 days while I trundled around in another car.

When I came back to it for the first time yesterday, it struggled to turn the engine over and wouldn't fire. Firstly, I thought the battery might be a bit low (it had been sitting idle for a while), so I gave it a full charge overnight. This morning it was now turning over happily on the starter motor but still wouldn't fire.

I figured it might be the coils or plugs, so removed the trim that covers the engine and saw that the spark plugs in cylinders 1 and 2 were sat in a pool of oil about an inch deep! I could also see where the oil had leaked from the area around the refiller cap down into the spark plug holes.

I guessed that either I spilled some oil when I topped it up last week, or didn't seal the refiller cap properly, or I've got a problem with the cam cover seal. I removed the cam cover and the seal looked ok, so I guess its been self inflicted - Either way I'm going to need 8 new plugs, and probably four new coils as well.

Just wondering if there is any other ideas of what might have caused it, or anything else that might need doing as a result of my apparent idiocy

Photos available here for amusement :

Alfa 147 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
1.6L TS Lusso engine with cam cover removed on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Cylinders 1 & 2 - Think I might have a problem... on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
Re: 1.6L 147 TS Lusso - Failure to start

OK, take off the cover for the relays in front of the battery and give the relays a vigarous wiggle and ensure they are reseated correctly. Then try and start her again.
AO Platinum Member

Also, make sure you have enough Petrol in it....

Sorry, it often happens on here...!
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 15-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Dave - hehe, I bet it does!

I think I've got to the bottom of why it didn't start (Oil on plugs meaning it was trying to start on only 2 cylinders), what I'm wondering is if there is anything downstream that might be affected and that I should look out for in the next few weeks. Not sure how the lambda sensor or catalyst will like having unburned fuel blown over them - Is it worth disconnecting the injectors and turning it over a few times to blow some dry air through?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 16l , failure , lusso , start