GT splutters to a grinding halt - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 09-02-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT splutters to a grinding halt

I was dropping my 12 yo off at school this morning and then suddenly, without warning, in the middle of the school traffic my 3.2 GT splutters, coughs, weezes and then conks out.
I managed to start it one more time and amidst the backfiring and spluttering I got the car around the traffic lights and on the side of the main road.
Dressed in my best clobber (bank manager gear) I walked to work, racking my brains as to what may be the problem. The car would start OK but then just die straight away. Couldn't be anything too mechanical I thought, or she wouldn't turn over.
I wandered back to the car around lunch time. It's a bit hot here in Australia at the moment. The temp was about 37c (around 100f) but in the car I would estimate that the temp was closer to 50c. cut a long story short I popped the hood and discovered the pipe feeding air to the box had come off and this was causing the car to act like a cranky old man.
The local council saw fit to leave me an $89 illegal parking fine
On a side note, once I had the car started I grabbed the gearstick to head off and the buggar came straight off in my hands. I have tried for ages to get that thing off but it wouldn't budge. looks like all it needed was a good old sunbake in a bit of scorching aussie sun to loosen it.
Aussie Joe

Last edited by Aussie Joe; 09-02-09 at 02:54. Reason: Spelling

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

grinding , halt , splutters