Alfa GT Tracking and Steering - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

Alfa GT Tracking and Steering

Please can anyone help. Have read some other threads on tracking and am wondering if I have the same issue.

- A couple of weeks ago, the front and rear driver's side wheels were kerbed slightly, but it but a cut in the tyre sidewall. I was away from home and Kwik Fit were nearest - so took it there.
- They recommended a single tyre as the other side was OK and they could match the tread - but they also said the tracking was out and needed doing.
- On driving 60 miles or so home, the car felt wrong, the steering feels like it is pulling to the left and some pressure needs to be applied to the right to keep the car going straight. Definitely different from the nicely balanced feel it had before.
- Took it to the local Kwik Fit and they said the tracking was still out, so they corrected it and recommended getting a matching tyre.
- I declined and changed swapped the fronts onto the rear. (The rears are identical with identicall wear) Same pull issue, so should rule out the tyres being the problem.
- I then took the vehicle to a four wheel alignment centre who confirmed tracking was correct front to rear.
- Last thing I've done is take to my local garage to check for suspension damage or wear etc. and they could not find any issues.

SO is it that the tracking was not done correctly with the wheel not being centred or any other ideas?

'World's worst optimist'
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
Re: Alfa GT Tracking and Steering

Jack the car up and check hat the subframe hasn't shifted over, the giveaway is the 2 plugs, if they aren't flush then something has moved, and it will be the subframe, jus loosen the 8 mountig bolts, remove the 2 plugs and line up the frame so the holes in the chassis line up perfectly with the subframe.

Then you can think about track rods and damaged bushes, which can be checked while your under.
Re: Alfa GT Tracking and Steering

Originally Posted by djw1066 View Post
SO is it that the tracking was not done correctly with the wheel not being centred or any other ideas?

this has happened to me a few times

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , steering , tracking