147 Airbag warning light.... squib replacement? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 05-02-09 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 2.0 ts lusso

147 Airbag warning light.... squib replacement?

I recently had a very minor prang in my 147 (which was completely my fault) that didn't result in any damage to either vehicle involved - with the exception that my airbag warning light came on.

I recently had my car serviced by a non-Alfa garage and they ran a diagnostics check to reset the light... It did go off, but then came on again after I'd been driving it for about 10 minutes.

They are now saying that I need to have my squib airbag release mechanism (squib??) replaced at a cost of 230.

Does anyone know if this seems likely - I have since read that only an Alfa garage can reset the light and wondered if that was true? I don't want to shell more cash for a problem the garage can't actually rectify.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
County: Wexford
Re: 147 Airbag warning light.... squib replacement?

hi there, no idea what a 'squib' is.

what error code was noted?

it could be a loose connection under the passengers or drivers seat

or a faulty seat sensor
County: Wiltshire

The "squib" is the explosive charge whichexplodes to alow the gas out to inflate the airbag, normally if thecode will clear and then comes back it's just a case of removing the steering wheel (after disconnecting the battery and having a 15 minute cop of tea) and cleaning the sweeper tracks, then reseting it again, but all SRS components should be replaced every 10 years (officially).
AO Gold Member

As Smaky says, thats the reason that the airbag has a code like MY97 MY99 it gives the date of installing and you have to renew the Airbag system after 10 years, to my knowledge the life time of
the Airbag = 15 years after that time it stops functioning.
I doubt the "squib" story, more likely it is the crash sensor (bolted on the transmission tunnel) that is faulty... thats what happened to me,
I had to replace the crash sensor.
AO Silver Member
County: -
Hi guys... I need advice. Yesterday I noticed that the airbag light had turned on. But it stayed on just for a couple of minutes. Then it dissappeared... and came back after few minutes... And It was same story today. But after a few cycles it decided to stay on.
So I decided to check what is going on with diagnostic software.

I got an error "Passenger squib circuit". What exactly does this mean?

Description of the error says: "The airbag activating circuit indicated by the code is shorted to ground. This may be caused by a faulty circuit, Squib, or ECU."

Is there anything that I can check myself or is that a job for a dealer?
AO Silver Member
County: -
This is what I get if I connect to the airbag ECU with Alfadiag (I used Fiat ECU scanner before, because Alfadiag does not want to connect to the ECUs for most of the time, giving me all sorts of timeouts...)

Error code is 0009:

Failed Component Code: Passenger 1 1st Stage Airbag Front
Error Code Status: Intermittent Fault Present
Error Type: Value Too High
Static Image Of Lifetime Timer in Snapshot: 9043120 Minutes
AO Member
County: Greater London
It's possibly the connector either under the front passenger seat or in the boot behind the flap to the rear of the rear light cluster. All airbag connectors are yellow.

Intermittent Fault Present = loose connector that make and breaks connection

Value Too High = because the connection is incomplete the wrong voltage is being detected.

Try the connectors - if it sorts your problem the it's fixed for free, I had the exact same errors on mine and solved it this way.
County: Greater London
two square yellow connectors in the boot

chillihound, i'm not sure i'm talking about the same connectors - if you stick your head in the boot, take down the top cover, in the far left and right corners at the top (near the passenger belt tensioners) i have square yellow plugs (mother) which are not connected to anything. Are these the airbags connectors? if so what are they supposed to be connected to? i coulnd't find anything around there they can be connected to. appreciate your help.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , airbag , light , replacement , squib , warning